Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula - 4 panel narrowband mosaic

Martin-Devon

It's taken me a month to generate this image - my Atik 314 just grabs 1/4 of the image with my 102mm refractor, so I set about compiling a 4 panel mosaic. With the grim weather the last few weeks, it's been a long task - I can also see now why some folks opt for the Atik 383, this would have captured the entire target in a single frame. Nevertheless, I had fun doing it & certainly learnt a lot handling mosaics in Photoshop.

So, 4 panels, each of approx 6 hours of 10 minute subs across H-alpha, OIII & SII. Not sure about the processing - came out a little too yellow for my liking, was trying to get a richer gold colour but this was the closest I could get - more work needed here!

6713907085_1a3ea7496c_b.jpg

A very interesting image. Shows a lot of different structures there.

WHat mapping did you use for the various narrowband filters? Which wavelength is the electric blue for example?

I am also amazed that you managed to get 24 hrs of imaging in in only a month. Must have had some good weather in Devon ;-)

old_eyes

Thanks for the comments.

Just to reply to "old_eyes" above - I map using the normal Hubble palette, so SII -> Red, HA -> Green and OIII -> Blue. Once I've got the histograms sorted with black points I then apply the next Hubble colour switch following the steps on this website: Creating Hubble Palette Color Mapped Images . This converts green (dominant due to abundance of HA) into yellow-gold, and enhances the light blue from the OIII. Further tweaking of colour balance and selective colour channels in curves gives the final result (which I still think is too yellow!).

Thanks for the comments.

Just to reply to "old_eyes" above - I map using the normal Hubble palette, so SII -> Red, HA -> Green and OIII -> Blue. Once I've got the histograms sorted with black points I then apply the next Hubble colour switch following the steps on this website: Creating Hubble Palette Color Mapped Images . This converts green (dominant due to abundance of HA) into yellow-gold, and enhances the light blue from the OIII. Further tweaking of colour balance and selective colour channels in curves gives the final result (which I still think is too yellow!).

Thanks for the link. I have not yet got my mind around synthetic palettes, and it is a good walk through.

Anyway a fabulous image. I am always interested by images that show you what is going on as well as being a thing of beauty.

old_eyes

Archived