Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion with the TS SuperNewt Reprocessed with much more care

Catanonia

Apologies for the second thread, but I am sure we have all had those moments with new toys where you want to show off and totally forget the basics.

Well that was last night after a quick process of the Orion region and like a kid in a sweet shop in a rush to fill the bag. To be honest, the previous image I posted was embarassing and I shall try not to do it again. Mods : Please feel free to archive / delete / close the other post.

So here is a proper process of the Orion data I collected on the 1st of January 2012 during 1/2 moon right next door to Orion at the time.

I am amazed at the signal strength in just 3 minutes unbinned subs and under 1/2 moon so close by. Can't wait to try this on a moonless / clear night.

So summary, shot with the TS SuperNewt 8inch at F2.8 and QHY9 mono with 2inch QHY filters. TS OAG and QHY5 / PHD guiding on top of a NEQ6Pro mount. It is the TS copy / rendition of the Boren PowerNewt, so to avoid confusion I call it the SuperNewt until someone can clear it up. :)

Subs are 7x3 lum, 11x3 Red, 11x3Green, 11x3 Blue Basically 3 minute unbinned subs totalling just 2 hours of image time. Flats, Bias and Darks applied although I am still struggling with flats on this beast.

Processed with PI and CS5

I am really happy with the depth of signal with this scope, it is truely amazing even under far from perfect conditions and I still haven't got the colimation bang on yet. I still have some 5min subs on Bodes to process from the same night and I can definately see the flux on those subs. This was impossible for me with the MN190 even after 15min subs.

The main aim for me in getting this scope was to have the apeture of the MN190 but with much faster optics. So an increase from 190mm to 200mm and F2.8 compared to F5.3 has resulted in subs being reduced by about 1/4 the time. Now running 3 min subs compared to 10 minute subs on the MN190. Shorter subs means more of them if I wish and of course less noise to boot. Also nice is the ability to image an object easily in one night without messing waiting for the next clear night to finish / get bored of an image. A massive advantage in rubbish British weather.

I hope you like, hopefully with practice, my images with this scope will get better.

If you have any questions about the setup, just holler, more than happy to answer anything about the scope / camera / TSOAG and how I put it all together.

Full size http://astrob.in/full/2661/ on Astrobin

Edit : Thanks Tim for closing the original thread, pointless having two of them running ;)

Regards

Cat

post-16631-133877712488_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

PI has a very nice green removal tool :)

Harry

LOL, already was applied and made no difference re-applied ;) I had a load of gradients with the rubbish weather and moon so close. The colours are not bang on, but close enough for a 1st serious use of the scope.

and clear / moonless skies..... My rear end is twitching already ;)

Kielder in March could be good then :)

Astroscot and Robbie Ince may be there for help and advice. They have nice Newts.

Dave.

Hi

Your lum has data missing , I would suggest that to aggressive sigma has been used during stacking removing to much data:o

Harry

There sure is alot of good stuff in there for the length subs! That scope would be perfect for my cloudy NZ sky.

I had a bit of a play in PI but couldn't get anything i liked with the lum file so just used RGB. My version here is a bit of a mix of PI Lightroom and PS lol.

Looking really good Cat. Are you using the filters as supplied as part of the QHY package? I'm weighing up a few upgrade options for later in the year :)

Yes using the QHY9 Mono and 2inch LRGB filter set that Bern at Modern sells.

Now that's an Orion Nebula! Blows mine out of the water, so much detail and colour depth! I like what the QHY9 can do in the right hands, but some of the complicated language you're using in this thread is a bit baffling, I think I'll keep with my Canon for the time being, it's nice and easy!

Archived