Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Year old beginner EPs advice!!

Hello everyone

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful new year :confused:

I'd like to get me few eps for my collection over the next year and was looking for advice off people. There are many threads and posts on here about eps so i'm kind of after tailored advice for me and my scope :D

I like viewing (or at least attempting to) deep sky objects and also the planets. now i know thats pretty varied and even after a year of having my scope i consider myself a newbie to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge :icon_salut:

I've decided my budget to be between £80-£150 for an ep which would allow me to buy a couple over the next 6 months or so.

So any advice to which ones would suit my scope,my needs and my budget would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks and happy new years once again

Gaz :p

I'm very happy with my new Baader Hyperion 17mm which fits at the bottom of that price bracket. Add some finetuning rings for circa £20 and it is nice and flexible. A big step up from the freebies and the revelation plossls I have.

I'm sure it's no Televue ethos but its a step in the right direction.

Sort of rotten question:

For the budget the TV Radians sound about right and are pretty decent, although I have read a few posts elsewhere that would contradict that. Thet are at the top end being around £160-180 I think. Due to increase soon I gather.

Higher up come the TV Delos range, cost more but seem to be very good. Not many in the range however.

Not sure about the Hyperons, don't have any or used them, people consider them pretty good. These are in the right price range being £92+.

Many find the BST Explorers to be very good, especially considering their cost £41. You could get the whole set eventually.

Explore Scientific make EP's but no idea what, nor who sells them in the UK, need to search.

Eyepieces are a bit personel and what one person likes another may dislike for exactly the same reason.

Thank you for the replies

I do completely agree about the ep being a very personal choice and what may be right for one may not necessarily be right for some1 else. I guess it's kind of a trial and error route but you don't really want to be making errors when spending £150 on an item :p.....i think i may try the baader mklll zoom to start with,that will give me many options then i may go right down to a 2.5 or 3mm

Gaz

The Baader MkIII zoom has had good reviews, I love my fixed focal length Baader Hyperions, very comfortable to use, but eyepieces are a very personal choice and I have tried many in my price range (low-middle range). However, the BST Exlporers are the most impressive for the price, based on the much respected Astro Tech Paradigm, very good indeed.

the hyperions should give some good views in your 250..as will the BST & some of the revellation might be worth a look...the 26mm & 32mm panaview are worth a look too as are the celestron X-Cel LX range

best advice on eyepieces is...find a local observing group..take your 'scope along...& try different eyepieces in your 'scope (observing-groups tend to be friendly)...see what suits your eyes..then go spend

I like Hyperions but, in my opinion, they don't work that well below F/6, given their cost. At F/4.7 they show quite a lot of astigmatism in the last 25% of the field of view.

£80 - £150 per eyepiece would put you in UWAN / Nirvana territory which are much better corrected eyepieces in fast scopes, in my view.

Once again thank you for your views and comments.

Over the next few months i may consider buying a couple of different makes and comparing them against each other then maybe thinking of following a certain product and building my ep set like that.

Great point about the observing groups too so will do my best to find the time to get out to a local meeting soon.

Gaz

Archived