Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Out tonight

robbie c

Well, thanks to all of you here, I've just had what I think you call first light. Now it's nothing too exciting by most people's standards here, but it was pretty good for me. I got a pair of Bresser 8x32 pocket bins, I'd installed stellarium, and I got pretty fair seeing apart from lousy light pollution and obstructions.

However I saw Jupiter and for the first time in my life I KNOW it's what I saw, I saw Orion, and was able to pick out beteljuice or whatever it's called, and remembered it was called something like that.

The big point for me is that I actually appeared to know more or less what I was doing and made the best out of not the most wonderful kit and a lousy location; I have a street lamp the other side of my garden wall (north) for example, which means I have 65% or more of the the light from it in my garden, and I am surrounded by loads of mature trees. I just kept to those areas of sky which were not too badly obstructed, mostly SE-SW.

I spotted a few constellations without too much trouble. Overall it was a good experience, and well worth popping out for a few minutes.

I'd like to thank you all for the tips I've picked up while browsing here for a week or two, as it was a great improvement over simply being outside at night and thinking, "oh, that's quite a bright one!"

I'm pretty chuffed with that outcome!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However I saw Jupiter and for the first time in my life I KNOW it's what I saw, I saw Orion, and was able to pick out beteljuice or whatever it's called, and remembered it was called something like that.

The big point for me is that I actually appeared to know more or less what I was doing.....

I'm pretty chuffed with that outcome!

it's great when you can actually put a name to the object eh? something to impress your friends and family with as well as yourself.

so, only another 50000+ objects to identify.... should only take you about the rest of your life, good luck!

It really was blowing a hoolie here, but the sky was fabulously clear and transparent. I attempted some imaging, but got some rather interesting effects due to the wind vibrations, like this extract!

post-16549-133877710336_thumb.jpg

It really was blowing a hoolie here, but the sky was fabulously clear and transparent. I attempted some imaging, but got some rather interesting effects due to the wind vibrations, like this extract!

[ATTACH]76029[/ATTACH]

Yep, that's pretty much what I was getting Luke! I set up in the lee of the house but still too windy to get anything useful. Did take some shortish subs of the Flame nebula and M45 but not expecting any keepers...

I went out with mine last night as I wanted to try out my new lenses. As the sun set I had a good view of Venus just a shame it was obscured by the trees where the scope is set. I had a lovely view of the crescent moon too & the detail was fantastic through the new lenses. I went in at 6 just to have something to eat then came back out & there were clouds pretty much everywhere. They did clear for a bit so I tried & failed to get a decent image of Jupiter via my webcam before the clouds rolled in once more. I just hope we get another clear night soon as I've yet to see Mars & Saturn.

It was a bit windy, wasn't it? I still went out as the wind meant I wasn't tempted to set up the webcam.

That meant that I was finally able to sit and take the time to properly compare the 18mm BST to the 18mm BGO on a few targets. I've decided to sell the BGO and keep the BSTs.

Archived