Gone and done it ... and just one last question

Well, after many questions on SGL and a couple of months researching the heck out of the internet, I've finally gone and made my first (and hopefully last .... we will see) scope and accessories purchase ...

- Celestron CPC 1100 and dew shield

- Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom

- Baader Sky Surfer V RDF (just couldn't bring myself to order a "boxy" Telrad!)

... all for the great price (well, its all relative, right?) of £2,690 courtesy of Zoltan at 365Astronomy. And as if that wasn't enough, it's all in stock and due for delivery in a couple of days!

I also ordered earlier today a £90 Stanley 50 gallon job chest on wheels to store the scope and transport it from my garage to the garden.

Still to order a Starizona landing pad to make mounting easy and safe, and one of their Li-Ion piggyback batteries to eliminate cord wrap. I may also consider the Feathertouch 10:1 focuser, and if I win the lottery a Hyperstar unit and automatic focuser for unguided F2.0 imaging ....but that's waaaaaaaaaay down the line from where I am today.

So, if you thought some of my previous questions were a bit dumb, brace yourself for a whole lot more when it arrives! As SGL has been so helpful in recent weeks, I'll endeavour to do a first light review from a complete and utter newbie's perspective in due course, although with Christmas fast approaching it may well be after that if my children have any say in the matter. I'll keep you posted.

Just one last question ... has anyone experience of the Astro Power Station power supply from Sherwoods? I like it's small size and weight much more than the usual powertanks, and now having to lug around an 1100 scope/fork mount combo, I need all the help I can get :) ...

SLA Astro Power Station 12v 7Ah 100mm x 160mm x 67mm 2.75kg

portapower.jpg

SLA Astro Power Station

The SLA Astro Power Station packs a surprising punch. The heavy-duty battery will run a telescope for days, or a telescope and small anti-dewing system all night. Versatile and powerful, and unlike many other 12 battery packs this small compact unit is supplied in a handy ballistic nylon case with wide shoulder strap making it extremely easy to carry to a dark sky site. Supplied with fused connection and a 12V telescope connection cable with range of tips and an AC mains charging unit.

Many thanks

Alistair,

I would personally go for something bigger if you can. You may find you need to add a heated dew strip sooner rather than later, the 7ah battery won't last very long at all, especially in the cold weather.

Steve

Thanks, Ian.

Steve, I was kind of hoping to get away without heated dew strips on the basis that my observing will be for a couple of hours at a time, not significantly longer, but I guess if the conditions are right then that corrector plate will be a magnet for dew.

I still dislike the typical powertanks so I guess the final option is to fashion my own powertank with a deep cycle battery designed for the job ... but I might just have to brush up on my electrical knowledge for that. Or maybe a battery/gas powered cordless hairdryer - I saw one of them on the internet recently!

Tinker - the final impetus for me to get my wallet out was looking skywards last night. Completely cloud free, about -2 degrees and an amazing sight to see. So yes, you're right - that'll be clouds til the New Year now. Oh well, gives me plenty of time to unbox and figure out how to lift the damn thing.

It's a great scope but it will be a dew magnet. If the scope is stored indoors cool down time will take up much of your 2 hours. Still give it a try and decide for yourself.

I hope you enjoy it and look forward to your reports on it !

Very nice setup. My kids are pleased that their daddy won't be going out till new year :(

Look fwd to FLR. If I were a betting man I'd bet my scope setup on you needing a dew heater very very soon :p

Once it arrives you will find you will walk round with a grin that is in danger of splitting your head in two :)

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. So here's a question, is an 11" more likely to dew up than an 8", and why? My whole lawn is as likely to dew up as a 2p coin sitting in the middle of it, isnt it?

Nah, can't see why the aperture would make any difference to which is more likely dew up.

Both are dew magnets end of.

It's just a problem with the design.

Great scope BTW, congrats

Regards Steve

I guess the issue is scope position and whether I'm viewing near the zenith. Anyway, I've taken Nereid3's advice and ordered an Astrozap dew shield and controller from FLO. Thankfully my order hadn't shipped so no issues with Zoltan removing the Celestron dew shield from the order!

I guess the issue is scope position and whether I'm viewing near the zenith. Anyway, I've taken Nereid3's advice and ordered an Astrozap dew shield and controller from FLO. Thankfully my order hadn't shipped so no issues with Zoltan removing the Celestron dew shield from the order!

Pointing the scope straight up will attract dew quicker but once the corrector plate has cooled to the dew point dew will form whatever direction it's pointed. I get dew on my Dob's primary mirror despite a dew shield and a the scope tube being more than a meter long.

Nice starter scope by the way and the Telrad may be boxy but it's good, just like Volvo's.

Hi Alistair, many congrats.

I will be following you in January when some shares money gets freed up. I will be getting the Astrozap Dew Heater/Shield and controller as well.

Anyway, this thread is about you. Great stuff Alistair. Lets compare notes end of Jan.

What EP's you thinking of getting later on? Meade SWA is my thoughts...

BTW - agree with your comment about -2C and the stars the other night. What a glorious sight to behold !

Please post FLR as soon as you can (with photos) - we are all awaiting :)

I suppose its going to be cloudy these next three weeks now then?

Congrats Alistair !!! :(

Steve

Archived