Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Source for 10-12" diameter metal pier tubing?

NickK

I've been looking and looking but I've not found a source for a 10-12" diameter pier tube. I note that many people "manage to source" but can anyone give me pointers how/where?

All the local steel places don't seem todo tubing, certainly not of this diameter.

Morning Nick.

Nick I run a steel fabrication business and I can tell you now you are going to be hard pushed to find any company that will have an off cut of tube this diameter.

The sheer cost of 10 inch tube means if you get a job in which you need it you buy it in cut to length.

Your best bet will be a large civil engineering company who do pile driving.

Hi Nick.

Again, a permanent pier. I used galvanised steel spiral wound ventilation duct. Then filled with concrete.

If you choose this route I can ask or point you at at a couple of duct manufacturers near to you. Not everyone has a spiral tube machine. Most duct is square or rectangular. I was fortunate in scrounging my length for free. But a few quid (no invoice required) at the back door usually suffices.

Hi Nick

I bought mine from Steel suppliers - Steel stockholders - Distribution network | Barrett Steel Group who basically charged me by weight for a 72" x 12" tube of 1/4" wall thickness for about £110 + delivery from the midlands. All up about £150 I recall.

I don't recall there even being a question about minimum length.

Hope you find what you want.

Mine is a removable steel pier on a flat plate and a circular top plate for the scope mount. Works a treat - it's rock solid.

regards

Mike

I'd second (or third?) the recommendation of ventilation ducting.

I was fortunate to pick-up lengths of 10" and 5" (approx) diameter spiral ducting freebies from my last work place before it closed down. Sitting in the shed awaiting a nice roll-off shed to put it in!

Every area has it's own fabricating / engineering company. I brought a 2m long 9" dia tube from here:

Charles Watts Engineering| Engineering| Welding| Fabrication| Sheet Metal| Metal Working| Machinery | steel cutting| precision engineering

It had to be ordered in and only cost £100 - very heavy piece of steel though!! Two man lift to move the thing.

Dscf1900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this maybe too late but I have just used an inspection chamber 450mm diameter, that enables me to mount my pier to the base (inspection chamber)

and have a round table in the centre to rest my Eye pieces and coffee on, Imo perfect I will leave the black plastic chamber around the concrete to keep it tidy. Not the cheapest item to buy at 36.00 from keyline.

Archived