Extras for a Skywatcher Skyliner 150p

Walking the Dog

Now then!

I purchased my first telescope last week, and following a little research and help from you guys settled for a 150p Dobsonian - just the right size for my first scope.

Stage two is to get the right bells and whistles to hand. I need to buy a Barlow - is any particular make preferred?

The scope came with a 10mm and a 25mm lens - do I need any others?

I also live near the city - would a filter help with light polution issues?

Could anyone also recommend a 'star map'?

And finally (I think) I've heard people mention buying a Telrad is a good idea. Will the viewfinder on the scope not do the job?

All advice appreciated!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Walking....& welcome to the forum

a barlow can be handy...various cheap ones that will do the job...new & used an expensive barlow will not improve the view on a cheap eyepiece

get used to the 'scope 1st with the supplied eyepieces...then decide what you want to view for your 1st up-grades

polution filters seem to be like marmite...some love 'em...some don't

the finder 'scope will do the job.... some peeps prefer a right-angled finder or telrad..a personal thing... i use both

A Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder, used together with the finderscope, rather than instead of it, will make it much easier to locate objects. I would say my Rigel was the best accessory I ever bought.

I use Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas as my main star map. It is well laid out, easy to use under red light and the pages don't crinkle up in the damp night air.

If you don't already have one, a Cheshire eyepiece will come in handy for checking / setting the collimation from time to time.

And welcome from me too............

Like everything in life for which there is an option there will be numerous opinions......

Get used to your new kit and then decide for yourself what you need next.

If you think you need an LP filter the Skywatcher versions are very good value for money; search the forum for a comparison test.

Most people swesr by a Telrad but see what you think to your own finder rather than buying new kit straightaway.

Search Google for Stellarium, a pretty decent "star map" for your PC and it's free.

Brgds..dp

Hi walking the dog,

Welcome ro SGL. Once you have had some time with the original eyeoieces that cam with the scope try the BST explorers :- 1.25" Eyepieces for c£40 ea they have great reviews. As previously suggested The Pocket Sky Atlas is a good companion. If you have a pc Stellarium is a free download too.

Cheers

Damian

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would echo the advice already given, use your scope a few times and decide what you need/want.

The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is excellent.

Personally a Telrad was the first thing I bought and don't know how I managed without it, I have just complemented that with a Skywatcher RACI finder but due to the weather haven't given it a fair test.

FYI here is the link to Stellarium.

HTH and enjoy.

You know I've not been on this site long but I am genuinely blown away with the warmth of all your greetings and the advice given.

Cheers everyone.

I was thinking of getting a few extras for Christmas but for now it looks like a just need to hold my horses.

I'll be having a good look at the on-line Stellarium first and then set about learning about the scope and skies first.

Then I'll probably spend a few Bob!

Happy Christmas!

:icon_salut:

Hi WtD! Welcome to the forums! :icon_salut:

My personal advice on the equipment front would be to get a collimating tool first, such as a Cheshire, since misalignments in the scope's optics really can stop you getting the benefits of the scope. (My advice is to do a 'star test' first before changing the optics' orientation though!) This you really will need over time, and is the only item I would even suggest you to get now. You should probably get used to what your scope has to offer before getting anything else, such as eyepieces and filters as these are more beneficial with experience of observing with what you have.

If you do want to buy something, see if someone else has that equipment. With finders for instance, I actually prefer a magnified finder such as a 9x50 to a Telrad (which does not magnify what you see in the sky) because it helps me locate objects easier, but your prefrence may differ as you may find locating objects with a Telrad or non-magnifying finder easier. So, getting a feel for something first is always a good idea!

I would suggest that you get download a planetarium software, such as Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel, instead of a star atlas, as this can simulate the night sky on a laptop/PC very accurately, and was invaluable to me starting out. Plus, they are free! I personally use Stellarium, but many people swear by Cartes du Ciel, so I preference is dependant on which one you get used to first!

Also, how well do you know the sky? It may be worth researhing or buying a book on what you can observe with a telescope, such as the planets or deep sky objects (nebulae, globular clusters, galaxies etc.), if you are not confident. Or you can check out the relevant observing sections on the forums as they are very helpful indeed and the people there give excellent and supportive advice. :) Also astronomy magazines, such as Sky at Night magazine give useful obeserving ideas.

Hi WtD, welcome aboard.

I also like the sky and telescope pocket atlas, it is the one my children use and is a great starter. I have both a traditional 9x50 finder and a Telrad on my Dob. The telrad is better under darker skies but be aware of how quickly they fog over!

The celestron ultima barlow is a little more expensive but worth it (for 1.25" EP's).

Initally the only filter i would buy would be a variable polariser for the Moon and Jupiter.

over time build your EP's, a decent 32mm Plossl and perhaps an 8mm TMB planetry both for around £30-£40 should be worthwhile. With the barlow you will then have 4,5,8,10,12.5, 16, 25 and 32mm. I would not (unless seeing was excellent) bother with the 4 or 5mm options as the magnifcation will be very high.

Remember the sky is not going anywhere and you can take your time building up your accessories.

A decent collomation tool is essential and make sure that your scope is well acclimatised before observing.

Clear skies and good luck!

Archived