Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for an ED scope.

So far I've been looking at the skywatcher ED's

Equinox66

£290

PRO ED80

£295

and also the WO ED's from Ian King. Is this the scope that you have Rob?

WO ZS66

£255 (withour 2" Diagonal) - I have a nice 2" diagonal already.

With the 10% SGL discount all these scopes are pretty much the same price...

I like the new Equinox (especially the marks on the focuser) but is it worth the extra money - considering that the Equinox66 is the same price as the PRO ED80

One thing that I am a little worried about is focuser slip! Will I be able to attached the 300D onto these and have the focuser lose enough to adjust without the weight of the camera pulling the focuser out?

This is my entire budget. Anything else will involve selling my 8" F/5 OTA (which I considering doing BTW).

Thoughts?

Ant

I've had a Skywatcher ED80 for some time now, albeit it's main use is as a 'guide scope' for the 10" LX200GPS.

However, I have also used if for some 'wide-field' imaging, and have been very impressed with it's optical performance. Clear sharp images, with no trace of chroma.

The focuser does move in and out quite easily, but I can't say I've expereinced any slippage, when having either the DSI or SXVF-H9C attached.

I think its true to say, that most all of the ED80's currently available under different brands, are all made in China by Synta.

Williams do claim to 'hand -pick' theirs from the manufactured batches, but I remain to be convinced.

All in all, the ED80 is a excellent scope for the price.

Dave

I had my dsrl on the back of my ZS66 last night, no problem with focus, very easy and no slippage.

I think Ian King has a good as new second hand ED80 on his site, forget the price but take a look.

cheers

DAve

I sold an ED100 and and ED80 to buy a William Optics Megrez 90 and, with hindsight, I wish I hadn't. The Megrez 90 was very well built and had excellent optics but no better than the ED scopes.

I've now sold the WO scope and got an ED80 again - which I like very much - a great buy 2nd hand for £200.

So, of the 3 scopes you list, I'd go for the ED80 every time.

John

Thanks guys.

So as I suspected the ED80 it a very good scope. So I guess that sort of rules out the WO.

So out of the remaining two which would be better the Equniox 66 or 80ED (I'd never be able to afford a 100ED).

I've searched for a second hand PRO ED80 and can't find any.

This I think is what you mentioned Dave William Optics ZS80 II ED APO OTA Second one down!

I know so little about this type of scope is that any good?

Ant

So out of the remaining two which would be better the Equniox 66 or 80ED (I'd never be able to afford a 100ED).

This I think is what you mentioned Dave William Optics ZS80 II ED APO OTA Second one down!

I know so little about this type of scope is that any good?

Hi Ant - me again I'm afraid :police:

2nd question 1st - I reckon the WO ZS80 II would be a good buy at £250 but I think it's sale pending on anther site that Ian's advertised it on so you might have missed it (unless that's you of course :D).

On your 1st question, again I'd go for the ED80 - i) aperture rules ! and ii) the ED80's lens is made of slightly higher grade glass than the 66mm.

The 66mm will be much better finished mechanically but optically I think you will find the ED80 beats it on light grasp (has to really !!) and colour correction.

Others may disagree of course so don't just take my word for it - I've used a number of ED80's and an ED100 but no 66mm APO's.

John

Ant, I have an ED80 and a WO ZS66 doublet apo. They are quite different scopes. The ZS 66 is tiny compared with the ED80 and it's oversized tube. The ZS66 is quite a bit faster at F5.9. I have found the colour correction to be marginally better on the ZS66 but it really isn't a problem with either scope. Obviously the bigger aperture of the ED80 is a significant factor visually, the ZS66 doesn't pack a lot of punch.

My ZS66 came with a very nice 2 speed focusser which I can load up with CCD and filter wheel with no problem. The ED80 focusser is a little crude in comparison but adequate. Some synta focusers do slip but that is fairly easily remedied with a bit of sanding.

For imaging I find I use them both for different targets. Visually the ED80 wins hands down on account of it's bigger aperture.

Hi Ant,

I have the WO66 Petzval. There on special for £199 right now which is a bargin. Heres mine

http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/zenithstar66petzval_features.htm

I'm going to keep mine now and glad to be doing so TBH. It has markers on the focuser to help with imaging and produces some nice images (check the web link for examples). Now another possibility is the following.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/William-Optics-ZenithStar-66-SD-PATRIOT-ed_W0QQitemZ150123050614QQihZ005QQcategoryZ74928QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can handle the paint job, its a nice bit of kit!!!

Good luck mate!.

Rob

I think you might Ant. I had the same dilemma when I bought my ED80, and I'm glad I did.

I think the 66's look fantastic and I was really tempted to go for Rob's 66 (I was SOOoooo close!!) but after having actually looked through it at the weekend, I was sure I'd made the right choice.

Just my opinion of course .... :police:

Hmmmmmmm again :police:

Still fancy one of these little blighters..

Need a long lens for my D40 for bird pictures (feathered variety)

in the garden which will be costly.

Thought this might kill two birds (groan) with one stone.

What did you think when you looked through one Daz?

Ant - if it's visual there is a significant difference between the ED80 and the ZS66. ZS66 wins hands down of finish, build and cosmetic appearance but for what really matters the ED80 shows significantly more. I have often had the 2 scopes mounted in tandem together and have have done a few direct comparisons. There are small craters on the moon sharply defined by the ED80 which are barely hinted at with the ZS66. On DSOs the ZS66 shows good contrast but when it comes to resolving stars in globs and open clusters once again the ED80 is a clear winner despite being a slower scope.

The ZS66 is a little terrier of a scope for imaging though!

The ZS66 is faster and you can get the WO field flattener which might be handy with the big chip of the SLR. The FOV with a DSLR will be huge which is ok for widefield stuff but DSOs will be very small even M31! The ED80 and DSLR will nicely frame M31, M42 and running man, Rosette etc.

I find the ZS66 very useful because the chip on the SXV H9 is so much smaller than a DSLR.

The ED80 would definitely get my vote for DSLR imaging. The ZS66 would probably win out for smaller chips though.

Right, mind made up...

Sent off for a 66

An ED80 would be too big for daytime tripod bird scoping, plus

I have a refractor (ST102) to play with for astro stuff.

Not going to need it for visual as such and it will spend most of its

time on my barn door tracker with the DSLR or Toucam at the back.

Was going to get a long lens for the camera (more expensive) but

to be honest, this 66 serves more uses. :police:

Love the ED80's but if I bought one I would be wishing I had waited

for a 102 or a 120.

I do think that the ED80 is the front runner ATM.

Can you get a field flattener for the ED80?

Unless I can get the skyscan that advertised in the back of AN. Then a rethink.

Ant

Archived