Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible Supernova

Gy Stargazer

Hello all been a while since I've been on here.

Been busy with work and other things but still managed to keep my eyes to the skies.

Now to the Title of the Topic.

Date: Saturday 3rd December

Time: 06:08 UT

Direction: West North West

Constellation: Auriga

Nearest Star: L Aur

Description

Was doing a spot of early morning stargazing due to my alarm clock waking me up at the wrong time.

Looking out over Gemini and Auriga with very clear skies.

Was looking at Alnath and L Aur when there was a 'Flash' or 'Pulse' of light. I say both as am not sure which to class it as.

It was very close to L Aur to the naked eye about 2 - 3 centimeters away on it's left side as we look at it.

Now i say flash or pulse because I've never seen anything like it.

I've seen an Iridium Flare once and it didn't look like that.

This wasn't moving it was stationary.

Basically from where it happened there was no star.

Then gradually light appeared.

It gained size up to around 1/5 to 1/4 of the moon.

Very bright.

Nearly 4 - 5 times brighter than Jupiter.

After reaching size is began to shrink.

This took less than a minute.

I have contacted the IAU.

They have got back to me and said that my observation has been forwarded to the IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams (CBAT).

Did anyone else see this?

Scot

Well - it wasn't a supernova.

Sounds like you have a UFO there, most certainly with real live aliens on board. Get out there to meet them at once! Who knows, you might be the one chosen to 'take them to our leader'....:)

I have seen similar and I put it down to asteroids hitting us head on as apposed to skipping across the atmosphere. I assume it to be this as it happened several times in the same vicinity of sky.
Are you really wishing the dinosaurs' fate upon us? :):eek::( I presume you meant 'meteors'...

Are you really wishing the dinosaurs' fate upon us? :):eek::( I presume you meant 'meteors'...

Are they not asteroids at one point before they hit the Earths atmosphere ???? :):D

Asteroid:A relatively small, inactive body, composed of rock, carbon or metal, which is orbiting the Sun.

Comet:A relatively small, sometimes active object, which is composed of dirt and ices. Comets are characterised by dust and gas tails when in proximity to the Sun. Far from the Sun it is difficult to distinguish an asteroid from a comet.

Meteoroid:A small particle from an asteroid or comet orbiting he Sun.

Meteor:A meteoroid that is observed as it burns up in the Earth's atmosphere - a shooting star.

Meteorite:A meteoroid that survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and impacts the Earth's surface.

Are they not asteroids before they enter the Earths atmosphere ???? :(
Ah! We're into rather vague terminology which no-one seems to be in agreement about, here, but Wikipedia says, anything over ten metres diameter is an asteroid, smaller than that is a meteoroid (which may end up as either a 'meteor' or a 'meteorite' once it hits the Earth's atmosphere). I can assure you, a ten-metre chunk can sure do a lot of damage if it hits us square-on! :)

Flippancy aside, I agree, a meteor is the likeliest candidate here.

Saw something similar that morning around 0530EST (1030UTC)...if you are looking at Saturn and the start to the right it was the star just to the right of those two...have the name in the phone but not currently on me at work right now...was the left of two start in the constellation to the right of the first two stars...anyway, I saw the star go from it's normal magnatude to around the same brightness as Jupiture for about 10 seconds then it went back to it's normal brightness...happened twice and did not notice it again. I have never seen an iridium so it might have been that as the sun was coming over the horizon, but I did look up the star which is classified as a normal g-class but in the phase of almost converting it's core to helium meaning it will begin to shine twice as bright once it is completed...will go look the name up of it real quick.

Hehe my info was off...I remember it was Kraz (9 Crv) which is a G5 III star. Said it has a quite helium center and will burn 5 times brighter once its conversion is complete to become giant...not sure if it was an iridium next to it or I saw the star burp for some reason but it did happen twice and really close to or on that star...again though it might have been a direct meteor as well as the second time it happened I did see a trail move east off of it...thought it was pretty neat to view though never seen that before.

Archived