Telrad Alternative

After finally taking delivery of my first scope (Skyliner 200P Dob), I've discovered the stock finderscope is practically useless.

After scouring this forum, it seems the Telrad is the weapon of choice. However, it appears the Telrad is very difficult to get hold of right now. Virtually all reputable stockists are out of stock. :)

So, are there any other highly reputable alternatives to the Telrad? I want something that is going to give me a clear view of my target, with an LED objective lens.

I've seen the William Optics Red Dot finder at a decent price. Is it a good build and suitable for my scope? Also, what is the Rigel like? Will it be easily mountable on the scope, or will it require additional fittings and/or drilling into the OTA?

Thanks.:)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nearest alternative to a Telrad is the Rigel Quikfinder. It's a smaller device and projects 2 circles rather than the Telrad's 3 but is a pretty good finder - better than the single dot ones in my view:

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

I would not call the standard finder on the 200P useless - they are good quality optical finders but the straight through configuration coupled with the overall height of the scope make them awkward to look through. I guess if they put right angled finders on the scope would cost another £50 !.

RVO are advertising them on the bay still...the price appears to have rocketed up by £10 though!!

I acquired one from the USA and it cost less than any I could find in the UK. Inclusive of postage it cost me £38.

It's a revelation on a dob though Omega, I didn't get on with the supplied finder either and removed it completely. I didn't find I needed it at all.

Erm...how come Telrad is on your signature list of equipment if you don't have one? :)

I would also stay away from the single dot finders. Once that dot wanders off the FOV, you have a difficult time trying to find it back. The two or three rings give you some idea that you are near the desired object, which I find much easier to center, as a result.

JMHO Jim S

I had a red dot finder on my old scope, got on with it ok. My new scope has a 9x50 finderscope which I struggled like hell with the first couple of times I used it, get on fine with it now. Don't bin the finder just yet, persevere with it and use it along side a telrad/rigel

RVO are advertising them on the bay still...the price appears to have rocketed up by £10 though!!

I acquired one from the USA and it cost less than any I could find in the UK. Inclusive of postage it cost me £38.

It's a revelation on a dob though Omega, I didn't get on with the supplied finder either and removed it completely. I didn't find I needed it at all.

Erm...how come Telrad is on your signature list of equipment if you don't have one? :)

I put that list up when I ordered it with my scope, but the retailer since informed me that they could not fulfil that item! I was too hasty. Note to self, to update equip list!

I'll be sure to check ebay then, as this finder seems to be universally lauded!!

I use a Telrad on the dob but i just last week got one of these for my refractor, http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Advanced_Red_Dot_Finder.html Overall very pleased with it, well made and very light. I use the single dot but it has 4 different patterns to choose from. It's identical to the William Optics version in every way, apart from the price :)

I would also stay away from the single dot finders. Once that dot wanders off the FOV, you have a difficult time trying to find it back.

I couldn't disagree with you more. A single red dot is simplicity itself to place on a target since it is such a simple sight picture.

ive said this before, but when i read threads on the main two (rigel/telrad) many prefer telrad with that extra circle to aid hopping ect. and rigel preffered for being smaller and sits higher without the need for risers ect.

makes me wonder why rigel boffins dont just bring out the rigel markII with an extra circle. would that be a clincher ?

I put that list up when I ordered it with my scope, but the retailer since informed me that they could not fulfil that item! I was too hasty. Note to self, to update equip list!

Yes, I thought it may have been sheer (and understandable) enthusiasm! :)

Grab one of those from Rother Valley Optics at that price because they are selling them for ten quid extra on fleabay this week compared to last.

Hope to see Telrad back on your equipment list where it belongs soon :)

I got my Telrad from RVO.

I was heading to Bath the other day and checked Stock with Ace. They confirmed they had a Telrad in their Yate store. They have an online site.

In the end I found one in Bath anyway, and only £33!!! Dad's xmas pressie sorted!

After finally taking delivery of my first scope (Skyliner 200P Dob), I've discovered the stock finderscope is practically useless.

Why is it useless? Is your sky dark enough for a Telrad? As I couldn't see a lot of the guide stars on my backyard, I believe a Telrad on its own would be pointless for me. I could find things on the bins, as the additional aperture and magnification brings out many more stars.

I use a Telrad on the dob but i just last week got one of these for my refractor, Revelation Advanced Red Dot Finder Overall very pleased with it, well made and very light. I use the single dot but it has 4 different patterns to choose from. It's identical to the William Optics version in every way, apart from the price :)
That's exactly what I have and I do rather like the weapons style build. Mine even came with rifle mounting instructions!

Russell

I found the optical finder far from useless. In fact pretty great for finding bright clusters and a few galaxies. Then I got a telrad and it was fantastic, topped by a right angled optical, it is the perfect combo.

Archived