Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GOTO or Netbook Guidance

Another question

With Netbooks coming down to a couple of hundred pounds. I have Starry Night Pro 6 Plus and Stellarium software.

But I've never used computer for guiding my scope. How does it work? Do you have to do the same 2/3 star set up and polar align?

Is it more accurate than built in GOTO telescopes?

Is a netbook a cheaper alternative to GOTOs and just as good?

Many thanks

Netbooks can and do work for computer control of various mounts.

I find Cartes du Ciel less "hungry" than the other programs.

You need a mount which is already GOTO capable ie Lx200/ HEQ5 etc - yes, the same basic 2/3 star alignment etc apply.

The you can connect the mount/ handcontroller to the PC - usually a serial connection so a USB to Serial adaptor is also required. Once the cable is in place you can then tell your planetarium program which mount you're using and by pointing and clicking on the star map move your scope to that position.

That's the basics.....

Hi Sabana,

Merlin66 has it in a nutshell, you really need to invest in a goto mount before you connect up a laptop/netbook. I am sure that there are other clever folk out there who have made the mounts, encoders and added the motors and interface, but for us mere mortals its a goto mount first!.

Cheers

The motors on the mounting need to be capable of "talking" to the controller.

This usually means special motors etc - the standard tracking motors drives don't have the capability....you're really looking at the higher end mounts....

Ok thanks guys makes sense.

What are the advantages of having a netbook/laptop controlled mount to a GOTO? I can see that you don't have to type in where you want to goto just click the mouse icon on the screen. But there must be other advantages as so many people use this method.

The advantage is that the sky is displayed on the screen. So you can look at the screen and see what is available to be viewed. It makes it a lot easier to work out what you might want to look at.

You may decide to view well known objects or decide to go into the detail of a specific constellation. The choice can be made, and changed, once you are out observing.

It allows this degree of flexibility.

The other aspect is that we are used to looking at a screen and this falls in to this approach.

The advantages Ronin lists are obviously true and I have tried to use laptops out in the field for these reasons. In the end, though, I've given up. Obviously this is a personal choice, but I agree with Steve--for me their disadvantages outweigh their advantages. I find them too much hassle: they get unhappy in the cold. They run out of power and require extra attention. It's just an extra thing to set up. In addition, they need to be very well light-shielded: dimming the monitor is not enough, especially if you're at a dark site. It is possible to adequately shield a laptop: I've seen people do it with two or three layers of Rubylith over the screen and all the LEDs covered up with tape. If you don't do this, it will destroy your night vision. If there are other people around at a dark site and you don't shield it you will **** them off (even of they're too polite to say so).

Personally, I prefer to plan ahead then use star atlases and paper. Works for me. If you think a laptop will help you, then by all means go for it. Just think through the logistics.

Thanks guys. Your advice is priceless!

Can I continue this thread by also asking I've got Sky Safari Plus on my I phone. Apparently there is a drop down in tools to enble most telescopes to be guided by this application. Taking on board Umadogs advice about the hassle of setting up and other things. Could a good substitute for a netbook/laptop be this application? Is seems to have every star in its database so I could set a filter on for 8 times magnification and less and view on the smaller iphone screen whats on the night sky? Also I believe it can be done wirelessly but would need bluetooth? But that would require a mount to have this feature.

Can an Iphone app like Sky Safari substitute a Netbook with Starry Night or Stellarium. What would I be losing. I can see definately a few positives though with winter upon us.

thanks again.

Well, Stellarium is free so it's easy for you to try it out. I'm not sure if you can dim the display with rubylith, however: the touchscreen may not work. Without a red screen it will be too bright and will affect your night vision. Then again, if you're just starting out and you're using it to learn the sky then you may not care too much. In the long term, if you're doing serious DSO stuff you might find that a good star atlas and a dim red light will work better. Do whatever works best for you!

If you're somewhere with a lot of light pollution already or you're not doing serious DSO observing then, yes, the night-vision mode is adequate. However, if you're properly dark adapted then the red display option not enough. Not by a long shot.

30 minutes

battery dead

new problem

:)

Seriously, I noticed that function yesterday whilst setting up my 4s and had a bit of a Doh! moment. It's a shame smart phone battery tech hasn't kept up with smart phone battery demands.... Remember when standby was 5+ days and 3 bars meant you had enough for the weekend?

Russell

Archived