Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do you keep your stuff in?

Astrosurf

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just bought an aluminium flight case to store my Skywatcher ST150, it came with a block of case foam which filled the case. I wondered how to cut this to shape but found recommendations to use an electric carving knife, so bought a cheapie one from Argos and was pleasantly suprised how easy & neat it was. Had the case been smaller and the foam thinner (this case measured 850x295x270mm) it would have been a doddle.

I know what to do when I re-organise my eyepiece cases, solid foam instead of pick/pluck type.

I'm waiting for a response re a quality issue with the case before I recommend the company or tell people to avoid them.

• 1 month later...
What does everyone store the scope and mount in?

Mine's permanently up in our newly decorated 2nd reception room (the room has doors-edit french type, just realised that some may have thought other rooms were padded cells- so not bad getting the gear outside), but my misses had a notion (silly obviously) that she'd be able to relax in the room:D To be fair I have tidied up the DSLR gear and the eyepieces, books, maps, magazines etc, so she can now sit down.

I wouldn't mind some sort of storage so it can be out of sight behind the sofa. Any ideas?

Homebase - Keter Store It Out customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Sorry for the delay in replying; Xmas and stuff! I used one of these until I found space in the cupboard under the stairs where I store the OTA vertically in its original box. Plus the assembled mount and tripod. The Keter Stores are really very good and watertight (or mine was) and the OTA's temperature is already at outside temp. I did keep it in its original box. There was occasionally some condensation on the inside of the lid but it didn't drip much. I didn't find things got too damp. It's always best to check occasionally if left for a long while!

Like many others on this forum I got one of the Stanley Mobile Workbox things from B&Q. I threw away the tool tray insert from the top section, and with the aid of a sheet of hardboard, made a bottom foam layer for cameras and lenses, and a top foam layer for eyepieces, barlows etc.

Into the bottom half goes all the cables, connectors, power supplies, usb hubs, dewband controllers, and general junk. If I am really organised, this stuff is separated into ziploc bags so I can find bits. If not it is all jumbled and tangled together.

It is not hugely stable unless there is some good weight int he bottom, but it does put my eyepieces at a convenient height and gives me somewhere flat to put my starmaps.

old_eyes

post-17595-133877710853_thumb.jpg

I have just bought an aluminium flight case to store my Skywatcher ST150, it came with a block of case foam which filled the case. I wondered how to cut this to shape but found recommendations to use an electric carving knife, so bought a cheapie one from Argos and was pleasantly suprised how easy & neat it was. Had the case been smaller and the foam thinner (this case measured 850x295x270mm) it would have been a doddle.

I know what to do when I re-organise my eyepiece cases, solid foam instead of pick/pluck type.

I'm waiting for a response re a quality issue with the case before I recommend the company or tell people to avoid them.

I'd be very interested in one of these cases for my 'scope - how did you get on with a response?

EDIT: I think I've found the place, prices look very good, so any info on customer service would be most welcome - thanks.

I'd be very interested in one of these cases for my 'scope - how did you get on with a response?

EDIT: I think I've found the place, prices look very good, so any info on customer service would be most welcome - thanks.

I contacted them and they checked other cases and it appears I just had a rogue one. The issue was just that the lining was poorly glued or the foam block had been put in when the glue had not dried. Offered a full refund/replacement but I declined as I was going to use the foam block suitably cut out. My carbon friendly persona would not let me arrange couriers to pick up & return such a big parcel for the sake of a few pence of glue. I've been told I can get a reduction on my next purchase as well so not a bad company.

I contacted them and they checked other cases and it appears I just had a rogue one. The issue was just that the lining was poorly glued or the foam block had been put in when the glue had not dried. Offered a full refund/replacement but I declined as I was going to use the foam block suitably cut out. My carbon friendly persona would not let me arrange couriers to pick up & return such a big parcel for the sake of a few pence of glue. I've been told I can get a reduction on my next purchase as well so not a bad company.

Thanks for the reply - they sound like a decent company. Is it cases-and-enclosures?

Thanks for the reply - they sound like a decent company. Is it cases-and-enclosures?

Yep that's them. I was looking to get another case for my C6 SCT but could not find a good size until I saw the Maplins offer, my C6 just fits in with the visual back adapter removed and most of the foam removed.

So I have not had a chance to confirm that my issue was a one off.

I've just got a heavy duty fishing box but there's not much in it. I'm a real beginner so it's still observing in the back garden (when the skies are clear) for me at the moment. I keep all my eye pieces in their original cases and then in a tuppaware box. I also have my flask and torch and reference books in there. Plus it doubles as a seat with a decent padding!

Archived