Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7timer

Astro Imp

Have been looking at 7Timer the last few days and it has been promising 100% clear skies today and tomorrow.

From the time a got up this morningt it's been misty and has gradually worsened, can see about 40/50 yards outside now. Checked 7Timer still showing 100% clear. Is it worth checking in future, I think not.

I noticed the same with 7Timer over the last few days. The ASTRO page was predicting clear skies, but he CIVIL page was showing Fog. So i'm wondering if fog actually shows on the ASTRO setting, and if so, what should you look for? If it doesn't then the solution is to look at both i guess.

Yeah, it seems 7Timer doesn't always pick up on low level cloud (e.g. fog). It does tend to have have a noticeable affect on the humidity+transparency, though... For example, tonight it shows 95-99% humidity and minimum transparency. It's probably gonna be foggy.

I used to find 7timer really accurate, but it seems that the interface changed at some point over the summer and it hasn't been right once since!

Now that may just be because of low cloud or something else, but I must admit that I am beginning to give up on it...

Today evening it was definitely incorrect. I had a great sky from 18.00 to 21.00.

Humidity was horrendous, as always in Cardiff... But I had glorious views of M57, albireo, M27 (first time, never looked before), M15, Pleiades and last but not least Jupiter...

Couldn't see M56 (any ideas why?) and wasnt sure whether I had found M29.

Yahoo it was a great night best one for weeks. I got on my fishing thermals and was out there till 2am imaging the horse head nebula. Step daughter said I looked like I was going on an iceland expedition lol. Who cares about the cold sat there in my garden chair taking in the wonderful view of Orion filling the sky, ahh so good for the soul to gaze at the stars. Hopefully the next few nights will be good to :-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Couldn't see M56 (any ideas why?)

M56 for me was extremely faint the one time I managed to see it - I think the seeing on that night (back in May) was exceptional. Not managed to see it again yet, but it is on the top of my imaging list as soon as it comes back out of hiding (from behind my house).

Archived