Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer -150 & Astrophotography

After reading various threads and reviews it seems that this scope is ideal as a flexible, first scope. I just wondered whether any members or indeed owners of this scope could vouch for it's suitability for planetary observing and whether it is compatible with my Nikon D3100 DSLR? I understand it has a DSLR attachment, but will I need a motorised mount to take longer exposures?

This will be my first foray into practical astronomy, though I am studying Astronomy at University and am relatively familiar with the sky. A GO TO is therefore not something that interests me. My primary objective is planetary observatory and DSO. Is this scope an adequate jack of all trades?

Would really appreciate any input and suggestions from fellow members.

Thanks in advance. :D

As you can see from my sig. the 150P is the scope I use and I have found it very capable for lunar/planetry observing. As for DSOs, there are plenty to view with this scope but how well you see them depends on how dark the sky is.

As I don't do any imaging I'm sorry can't help you there.

HTH.

Are we talking about the 150P or the 150PL? I own thw 150P on an EQ3-2 and get great views of both planets and DSO although the shorter focal length (compared to the 150PL) leans slightly towards the DSO viewing side of the scale. If you are wanting to take long exposures for DSO its reccomended you will need an EQ5 mount as minimum as anything less is not stable enough and it will need to track. I use mine for planetary photography only using a webcam and have a set of trcking motors on mine and have got some good shots (moon only so far, click my Flikr link at the bottom). I dont own a DSLR but im pretty certain a T ting adapter is available for yours Hope this helps

yep it is a good all round scope , if you are wanting to take pics of the planets ,jupiter saturn ect , and attatch the dslr straight on to the scope the images will be very small , so you will need a x3 or x4 barlow , most people use a webcam ie spc 880 for planetry pics , they are cheap , around 35 quid from morgans and that includes an ir cut filter and an adapter , cheers and good luck :D

Thanks for the info guys.

It is the 150 PDS (f/5) that I have my eyes on. I did see the PL and its focal ratio does seem more attractive (f/8), which I'm guessing is going to be more versatile?

The issue I have with the PL is that it appears to significantly longer dimensionally and am concerned it will become rather impractical with regards to storage and portability?

One of the selling points of the PDS appears to be a "10:1 Ratio dual-speed focuser", can someone explain what this actually means and whether in practice it really is that beneficial?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

Dual speed focuser is fantastic and if you are wanting to image id say it will be a huge benefit. basically it has 2 turnining knobs and the slower speed knob will take 10 turns to achieve the same amount of focus travel as 1 turn of the standard speed knob. It allows for really fine tuning of your focus which ofcourse is essential for imaging. Ive seen some really stunning images done on the 150PDS.

It is the 150 PDS (f/5) that I have my eyes on. I did see the PL and its focal ratio does seem more attractive (f/8), which I'm guessing is going to be more versatile?

I can vouch for the 150 PDS. Excellent for DSLR astrophotography. imho, F/8 is less versatile. Certainly too slow for DSO photography. Good for planetary and lunar but you can always barlow up for this.

I have the same camera D3100 (unmodded) and would suggest in getting a remote for it too. There only a few quid on the internet but come in handy when trying to keep everything steady. Don't make the same mistake as me and get the wireless one though as it won't work. You will also need some kind of tracking too!

Most things are do-able and Nathan has proved that in the post above ;)

Wow, great image Nathan! That's encouraging then, I see that you use the EQ3 SynScan mount, is the SynScan a prerequisite for DSLR practicality then? Some people have mentioned that an EQ5 is a minimum requirement for DSLR?

I see the Skymax127 SynScan GO TO is also attractively priced. What will be the difference optically between that an the 150P aside from the obvious aperture difference? Is it as capable with a DSLR?

Thanks

Wow, great image Nathan! That's encouraging then, I see that you use the EQ3 SynScan mount, is the SynScan a prerequisite for DSLR practicality then? Some people have mentioned that an EQ5 is a minimum requirement for DSLR?

I see the Skymax127 SynScan GO TO is also attractively priced. What will be the difference optically between that an the 150P aside from the obvious aperture difference? Is it as capable with a DSLR?

The Synscan mount gives you the Sidereal tracking, so that you can do the longer exposures for DSO's. The EQ5 is preferable because it has the steel tube legs, making it sturdier, compared to the shakey aluminium legs of the EQ3.

That said, you can buy the steel tube legs seperately for around £90 and upgrade an EQ3 that way.

I've never used a 127, but from what I gather they're better for imaging the Moon/Planets. The 127 has a long focal length, so exposures for DSO's would have to be minutes rather than seconds.

Long focal length = light has further to travel until it hits DSLR sensor

;)

If you look at my deep sky gallery (click the link in my sig), all the images have been taken with a DSLR on a 150P. Many were taken using an EQ3-2 mount with the tracking motors but it was hard work. I now use a larger mount and it is much easier to get good results.

The dual speed focusser is a defiite advantage, but not essential if you use a bahtinov mask and take your time to ensure correct focus.

I also have a Skymax 127 and it is fine for webcam images of the moon and with a 5x barlow would be okay for planets but not great resolution. It is no good for imaging DSO's. I use it as a holiday scope as it is so small.

The 150P on motorised EQ3-2 was a very good introduction to both observing and imaging with a single scope, but not the best long-term option for either.

I upgraded to a bigger mount for AP and a bigger aperture for visual.

Forgot to say, all the images in my gallery are also taken (unguided) with a 150 PDS and a Canon 450d: Stargazers Lounge - Shibby's Album: Latest images [edit: actually several of those were taken with a Nikon D70]

The dual-speed focuser is excellent and it has a full 2" thread ring, which means with the right DSLR adapter you can minimise the vignetting in comparison to a T-adapter (I use the Skywatcher coma corrector as my adapter).

The mount was bought second-hand and is a Vixen GP with EQMOD which gets me up to 4 minutes unguided (with a little hard work polar aligning).

Some really fascinating images guys. It seems that the 150 will give me great bang for the buck. I can't seem to find any retailers stocking the EQ3-2 mount motorised though. Am I right in thinking that I can purchase the standard EQ3-2 mount and always convert it later?

From reading the forums it appears First Light Optics come highly recommended which is encouraging as I think I will be placing my order with them.

I think an EQ3-2 would not be adequate for a 150P. The tube alone weighs just over 5kg, add on the tube rings and imaging gear and it will overwhelm that mount in terms of guiding accuracy.

Just to suggest an alternative for a scope, an ED80 will serve you very well. Its half the weight of a 150P, you will never have to collimate it, and the optical quality will never diminish over time. But having said that, if you stick it on a EQ3-2 and expect an easy ride - that wont happen (Rik mentioned it was "hard work"). So to be realistic, your minimum platform should be an HEQ5 or a CG5-GT if you cant stretch to the skywatcher mount (though its very good polar align routine will save you bags of time).

Getting the right mount sorted from the start will save you much headscratching and cut out the false economy of having to upgrade 6 months down the line.

Thanks Uranium, a fellow Worcs member i see :) I'm on a budget of about £400, but as you suggest I'd rather pay a little extra now to get the right scope rather than fork out for something I'll only need to change in a few months time.

I did also briefly consider a 8" dob, but I figure despite the allure of the extra aperture for price, it will be useless in terms of DSLR connectivity...;)

Hmmm... £400? Have a look around to see if you can get a used CG5-GT for 300(ish), and if possible a used ED80 (harder to come by). Which should be another 200-250, so thats about 550 quid. New, that setup would be close to £900.

If you cant get the ED80, just go with the 150P - one of those new doesnt break the bank, but you might be spending money on other bits (eg: coma corrector).

But overall, the most important bit is the mount. You may end up buying a few more bigger/heavier telescopes, so its better to have the capacity to cope in the first place. ;)

For reliable imaging, the CG5 will see you up to a 6" newt or a 100mm refractor, the HEQ5 will do an 8" newt or a 120mm refractor (maybe heavier?). If you do some research, its well worth it. Take a look at the deep sky forum to see what gear other people use, it should give you an idea of what results to expect if you had something similar.

Yep from Worcs - Wyre Forest area .... still cloudy though! :) Im starting to forget what the sun looks like!

I have considered second hand, hopefully I'll rack up enough posts to check the Buy/Sell forum here soon. I can probably stretch to £600, but for that I need to be sure I'm getting the right equipment.

I live only 15mins from Sherwoods in Warks, so I'll be visiting this weekend.

The skies are looking a little less cloudy today ;) THanks for the advice.

Archived