Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Webcam Image of Saturn 3-5-07

dazza1639

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its only the firs with the webcam I've been trying to get a decent image all season using my digital camera down the eyepiece. The hole thing has become a lot easier since I took delivery of NS8 GPS.

Darren

Thanks Guys I am really pleased with it. My only real problem has been in the processing Lynkeos is good but isn't a patch on Registax and won't accept avi files so I have to convert the to mov first and I think I'm losing some of the quality. Does anone know if there is away to set the default capture file type to mov in windows ME that would help until I can afford a macbook to do the capturing on or get around to running windows under parallels on the mac so that I can run registax.

Darren

Absolutely superb! Now do one with the 114, so I can compare my efforts! I've been checking out lynkeos myself. The advantage is that it's fully GPL'ed. If you are having trouble with .avi files, have you read this?

http://lynkeos.sourceforge.net/english/download.html

To use sequences in AVI or MPEG format (even WMV, but it is very unstable), you shall download and install the FFmpeg library.

And the obligatory pesky questions: How many frames in the movie? How many did you stack? Any Lynkeos settings you can remember?

dazza, I tried out Lynkeos last night on an ancient iMac (233Mhz G3). It loaded my K3CCDTools-prepared .avi files over the network (they live on the Toshiba Windows XP laptop). I used the menu File->Add Image (from memory, the Open menu greyed out my .avi files and wouldn't open them). This was after I downloaded, compiled and installed the ffmpeg library. It ran very slowly so I gave up and went to bed, but it did load the frames ok.

I tried my self last night, I installed the ffmpeg thing from the package contained within the zip file, no compiling or downloading of extra bits. Loaded lynkeos added an image the avi where no longer greyed out. So I reprocessed the same avi as in Registax but the results where no where near as good. I think I will have to install parallels and run registax under windows, unless someone who is more knowledgeable than me fancies trying to make a port of Registax to run on a mac or linux (which should run under x11 on the mac).

Darren

nowhere near as good, eh? Shame. Still, with Lynkeos we can check out the source and try to improve it. We can't do that with Registax. I am currently looking through this academic paper on how it's done proper, like.

Will try!

dazza, would you mind posting the lynkeos-processed and the registax-processed images of the same .avi?

Here's the lynkoes image heavily tweeked in the gimp.

image.jpg

And here is the image directly from registax no additional processing

image.jpg

Actually looking at these two images the Lynkoes one isn't that far off the Registax image when you play with it in the gimp.

Darren

Archived