NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rattling eyepiece element, does it matter?

Hypernova

The pre-owned 28mm UWAN that I received today seems to have a loose element which I have tracked down to somewhere in the group that resides in the nose piece section. A sound can be heard when handling the eyepiece and shaking it gently. Is this bound to present a problem in use or is it a design idea to stop the lenses being pinched by contracting metal? There is a retaining ring on the field lens side which I suppose could be tightened but I haven't the guts or tools to attempt to tighten it. :)

Any ideas?

Mine doesn't rattle either Tom. It's more than likely the bottom retaining ring needs a little tweak up. A small precision screwdriver should be small enough to fit into the slot and give it the slightest of turn. It's easy enough done, i had the same issue with a couple of different TMB Planetary's, although it was the top retaining ring on them.

Done, just had a go at tightening the ring with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and now all seems well. At first it seemed that nothing had moved so I guess that it was only slightly loose to begin with.

TBH I was quite scared of the screwdriver slipping and scratching the field lens of my new eyepiece, gladly that hasn't happened!

Thanks all. :)

Funnily enough, after posting earlier in this thread, I checked my 4mm Nirvana and it had developed a slight rattle from the lower lens assembly. So I've just tightened the lens retaining ring and it's gone. Maybe they work loose over time :)

Glad you have got yours sorted Tom - I know what you mean though about the worry of a sharp implement near an expensive to replace piece of glass !

Yep, good advice already dispensed, but I would not risk a metal tool to tighten the ring. A wooden toothpick should do the job, or two diametrically opposed if the ring is stubborn with one.

Ron.

Yep wooden tooth picks are best. Tweezers are too risky as is a screwdriver.

Archived