Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pacman NGC281 17.5Hours Collaboration.

SlipperySquid

Hi again all,

Had a go at adding more data to my Pacman Nebula image and tried yet another processing technique to try and get the best out of it.

So I got approximately 5 hours in each narrowband channel taken in a mixture of 15 and 10 minute subs.

I stacked and processed them as normal and then I added the Ha as a luminance layer within Maxim which gave the image a softer appearance whilst improving the detail and giving better highlighted areas within the nebula.

Anyway I chat now and again to another SGL member via SKYPE who I lovingly call "The King Of Holland" non other than Neil Hankey who thought it would be a great idea to add the Ha data he had taken and use my image as a binned colour layer! as he camera has twice the resolution as mine and the images where very close in size etc I we decided to give it a go.

So Neil sent me approximately 2.5 hours of Ha data (He did give me the exact sub lengths etc which I wrote down, which my missus threw away this morning Grrrrrr.) Taken with the Takahashi TOA130F and an SBig ST10.

So armed with the data I started adding and tidying the image tweaking and a stretching until about 2am this morning.

Image was registered within PI so it matched perfectly (Thanks Neil for talking me through it's so easy when you know :icon_salut: )

This is what I came out with. I love it and I'm saying my Pacman is now complete!

Thanks Neil for the data it's really improved the detail (and now I want a new CCD :D )

I hope it's not the last project myself and Neil do together as the clear nights we get are just not enough!

Sorry for the long winded explanation!

post-17960-133877685728_thumb.jpg

My H Alpha data was taken over two different nights as follows;

First night 9 x 600sec = 4500sec

Second night 5 x 800sec = 4000sec

So in total I had 8500sec or 2.36 hours of data, which is a lot for the ST10 which seems to be very sensative in this wave length.

I loved Matts original image; especially the colour, so vivid, so we decided to see what would happen if we combined the data.

I think the result is brilliant, the best of both worlds, colour and resolution... expertly stretched and combined by Matt. I now have an OIII but still lack an SII so more collaboration in the future...:D

I love the result, great work Matt.:icon_salut:

Excellent result. Sometimes the "hubble palette" pictures lack any turquoisey green colouring, but the real deal pictures are coloured more like this one.

Again, excellent result, you should be very pleased with that one :icon_salut:

Tim

Thanks everyone for taking the time to relpy.

I've been really busy lately and haven't taken the time to reply like I should so please accept my apologies.

Currently thinking hard about moving on from astro photography onto some thing else entirely as work is getting in the way of my hobby and at the moment I can't do one without the other suffering.

Will keep you all posted :) I'll see how I feel on the next clear night!

Thanks again,

Matt.

Archived