NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lyra Optic 4" F11 Refractor

Damo636

Thought i'd upload a few pics of my recently aquired Lyra Optic 4" f11 refractor. I had first light with this baby a few nights ago and really impressed overall with the performance. I concentrated on mainly doubles and Jupiter and was really chuffed with how it performed. At f11 the CA is really well controlled and and on par with the Tal 100RS it replaced if maybe slightly better. The fit and finish is literally light years ahead of the Tal though. The rotatable dual speed focuser is fantastic and really smooth. It is able to hold the 28mm Uwan at the Zenith without even a hint of slipping without the locking screw engaged! The sliding dew shield is a good length but i will still look into getting a dew strip and controller at some point. All in all very pleased and looking forward to some lunar exploration in the weeks to come. Thanks John.

post-24496-133877685177_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877685189_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877685197_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I don't have that particular filter John but will look into it. To be honest the only filter i own is an Oiii and it was bought specifically for the Veil Nebula.

I am indeed looking forward to hunting down binary stars with this scope John. It seems to take high mags really well. I pushed the mag up to 290x on the double double with the 6mm Radian + 1.6x barlow combo and was amazed at how well the image held up. The Antares barlow really does just get out of the way.

.... The Antares barlow really does just get out of the way.

Don't ever sell it !

I sold one way back then tried a couple of other 2" barlows and realised my mistake. Took me 4 years to find another one :D

Thanks guys, yeah Lyra Optics have the new batch in stock now. I would highly recommend one of these for anyone looking for a fairly long f/l refractor. I picked up a nice RA finder on here last night for it and now waiting for the weather gods to start playing ball so i can put it through its paces properly.

Oh you see what you did! I'm really tempted to get one of these now, and I'll probably be killed to death :)

Seriously, once you get the chance to use this beautiful scope I'd love to hear how good it is on doubles, clusters, planets... well everything really.

Archived