Finderscope hell !!!!

I don't know if its just me being dumb, but I can't seem to allign my finder 100% with my scope ! Its a Celestron powerseeker 127 eq. Have used a church spire about a mile away to line everything up, used pliers, mole grips and hours of frustration and its still not right !!! Can anyone recommend a compatible replacement to end this drama !

I found finder scopes tricky to line up.

I still use finder scopes now and again but I would not want to be without my Rigel Quikfinder:

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

Unlike a finder scope it does not magnify what you see, but for me it's a lot easier to line up and to see exactly which part of the sky or which star you are pointing at. I can't recommend it, or something similar, highly enough. One of the best things I ever got for improving my kit!

Is your finder scope base securely and solidly fitted to the scope, and have you placed the rubber O ring on the finder tube and inserted the scope into the holder, if its the type shown in the scope description there should only be two screws to adjust as the other is spring loaded, aligning should then be straight forward by adjusting the two screws. have you checked the spring loaded plunger unit in the holder to see if that is ok ?. If you are still having trouble you may want to go down the red dot finder path, as has been suggested :D

........... I would not want to be without my Rigel Quikfinder:

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

Unlike a finder scope it does not magnify what you see, but for me it's a lot easier to line up and to see exactly which part of the sky or which star you are pointing at. I can't recommend it, or something similar, highly enough. One of the best things I ever got for improving my kit!

I agree with that. I'm new to this, so how I work may change over time, but at the moment I line up with the Rigel, then star hop using the finderscope.

The finderscope on my dob seems very faint and not great to use with my specs on, but I wouldn't be able to star hop with the Rigel alone.

When I started looking for DSOs, I couldn't find any with an optical finder. Using specs and being new to star charts in the dark I use a Telrad finder. The Telrad is easy to fit, adjust and use in conjunction with the Telrad Messier and Ngc charts.

I am not sure of the type of adjustment on your finder but mine is simply a case of turning two thumbscrews one way or the other to move up down / left right and aimed at Polaris it's really easy?

sometimes, the shoes needs to be adjusted slightly if really out but with the thumbscrews at half adjustment centre Polaris and then tighten up. you then have some latitude for fine tuning.

If you cannot see Polaris then use Vega which is right over head, or Altair, (or Deneb, or the moon etc etc). Not sure where you are in Cheshire but if near Stockport, send me a PM and if I can help, I will.

you might find that the finderscope fittings on the oTA are not quite lined up so unless you're willing to take them off and re-drill the holes you might be stuck with it. I have that problem on a skywatcher dob - tbh it's not a huge problem as I know that I have to line the object up in a particular part of the finderscope FOV for it to be in the scope FOV. As long as you start off with a long F/l e/p it's ok.

Im considering getting a Rigel finder. Wheres the best place ti fit it on my 250px Dob. Should I replace the current finderscope with it?

i think they are extremely light and most people put them right up top on the opposite side to your finder.

I've put our Quikfinder a bit to the right of the finderscope on our dob (from the direction as if you were going to look through the finderscope).

It works fine for me there. I currently have the finderscope off but with the shoe still on in case I want to put it back. I've found the finderscope handy a couple of times when looking for targets that you can see well through the finderscope, though I could live without it.

Main reason why I have the finderscope off now is that with a heavy eyepiece the dob is getting a bit top heavy and taking the finderscope off keeps it just about okay, I probably need to get a magnetic weight for the dob though!

Im considering getting a Rigel finder. Wheres the best place ti fit it on my 250px Dob. Should I replace the current finderscope with it?

Archived