Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 120mm F8.3 Refractors: Any Good ?

I'm thinking about getting a largish refractor again and the longer focal length 120mm achros seem to be very reasonably priced on the used market as OTA's.

Can anyone who owns / has owned one of these let me know how they perform optically ? - I'm expecting some colour on bright objects but reasonably good sharp contrasty views otherwise - is that likely to be the the case ?. Is it worth using a filter to control the colour - if so which one ?.

Is it worth getting one of the ones with the collimatable lens cell ?

Thanks,

John

I used to have one, mine was a pretty good scope. It needed a minus violet filter on the planets but thats to be expected, other than that it was a pretty decent performer. If you are looking for a lunar/ planetary refractor then the 127mm f9.4 Chinese models are a better bet IMO, of course it's a bigger scope and will need a EQ5 class mount (the 120mm can get away with a EQ3/2) but having owned both scopes I thought it was worth it.

That was only one example of each model though....

I've got one and have been complimented by Astroman on the Airy disc pattern. See http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=6234.0

As this is the only thing like it that I've owned, I can't comment on how good it is compared to something else. The ED80 would be similar I suppose but I've never looked down either 'scope to offer an opinion. The big Frac. does seem to do better at imaging planets than my 200mm Newt. though.

Captain Chaos

I have been using one (Greg's) for a couple of years and rate it highly.

Optically better than its price and achromat designation suggest. If looking for secondhand, remember the many Helios black-tubed versions that typically sell for less.

If looking for secondhand, remember the many Helios black-tubed versions that typically sell for less.

It's a Helios one that I have my eye on at the moment but I'm not sure that it has the collmatable lens cell - is that a major minus ?.

John

Thanks for the comments folks - so far it looks like a "thumbs up" to me :D

Have to convince my wife now that nice a black cannon will look great on the new patio !.

John

Just to throw a spanner in the works, take a look and see if a second hand ED100 is within your budget. A much better 'scope all round IMO. Of course more money too

Agreed Gordon - ED100's are brilliant scopes - if someone offered me an ED100 for £300 or so I'd practically bite their hand off to get it - I should never have sold the blue tube one I used to have :D - trouble is there have not been too many on the market lately (I wonder why .... :D). Telescope House have an ex-display Orion ED100 OTA but they want £500 for it which is too much IMHO and they won't accept an offer - I've tried.

I may decide to wait and save my pennies until an ED100 comes along though ....

John

Agreed Gordon - ED100's are brilliant scopes - if someone offered me an ED100 for £300 or so I'd practically bite their hand off to get it

me too :D

We could start a new thread ..... "Equipment I wish I'd never parted with ...."

Might be a bit depressing for some of us though :D

John

I think I bought one of them off you John? It was getting an ED80 that pushed me to get an ED100, I thought if the scope is as good as the ED80 AND and inch bigger it'll be a cracker.

I think you are right Gaz - you and I have exchanged a fair amount of gear since I have been a member of SGL - all successful deals I think :D

John

Blimey, have telescope house still got the ex demo ED100!

They've had that since I went there... Back in August!

I'm sure that they would take an offer now!

Ant

Blimey, have telescope house still got the ex demo ED100!

They've had that since I went there... Back in August!

I'm sure that they would take an offer now!

Ant

Well I tried to see if they would "flex" a few weeks ago with no joy, although the price does include delivery. They claimed that the Orion versions of the scope were more expensive than the Skywatcher (although they admitted that the scopes were identical) so their price was as low as they could go. Does not even include tube rings :D

Aunty FLO lists the ED100 OTA at £550 so with the SGL discount the price is pretty much the same - and the SW comes with a set of tube rings :p but also the champagne and cream colour scheme :D

If I was in the market right now to spend £500 on an APO OTA I think I'd put my business Auntie FLO's way !.

John

Archived