Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How far do you go?

brascoe

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that the new forest way thats where ive been thinking of going not to sure what its like at night it seems like iw would be pretty dark or i was thinking of queen elizabeth country park

Yeah the new forest.... They sky is amazing, really worth going.

ps , swampy if you fancy a trip in a real (non chevy !!) vehicle or even bring your own , you would be most welcome .

Cheers, I will take you up on that.

If and when we get some clear skies round the new moon. I shall come up.

Won't be in the Chevy though. Fuel costs are a little high:eek:

Plus she's only got 38.5" super swamper boggers on right now and they're hardly touring tyres.:D

Regards Steve

560 miles!! :D

only kidding, from Essex to the Isle of Mull, Scotland, off up to my parents tonight for a few days and taking the scope with us. I just know those damn clouds are going to follow me!!

Cannot use front or back gardens due to street lightning, so I travel about 15 minutes from Swindon, skies are quiet clear as long as I do not want to look to the north. See the Milky Way very clearly on a moonless night. Have been known to travel up to an hour if I am meeting up with other friends I know. I have travelled to Spain (three times) to do some astronomy at an observatory, unfortunately each time the main scope (14 inch Intes) has been out of action:mad: At least it gave me a chance to try out a Skywatcher 12 inch GOTO Dobsonian, which was very good for viewing and tracking, once I sorted out the set up, doh!

Peter

Cheers, I will take you up on that.

If and when we get some clear skies round the new moon. I shall come up.

Won't be in the Chevy though. Fuel costs are a little high:eek:

Plus she's only got 38.5" super swamper boggers on right now and they're hardly touring tyres.:D

Regards Steve

i used to live in wallington up until a few months ago light pollution round there is a nightmare at least you have the downs just down the road which isnt to far.

I usually just go into the back garden, well i say garden it is all paving stones which makes it pretty eary to get a level footing. The lighting is not too bad only a couple of inconcideratly placed white streetlights. I have just bought a nexstar 6 and it is much more movable than my previous scope ( Celestron C150 HD on a CG-4 eq mount) and have looked futher afield. I have found a country lane that is wide open in terms of view and just off the road is a concrete platform which must have been the base of an old barn. There is even an area similiar in size to a passing place right beside it to park my car. Best bit is it is only 15mins away. All we need now are some clear skies.

The back garden is as far as I get most nights, not having a car means travelling 10+ miles with a dob to get to some reasonably dark skies is a little bit pointless. I will stay put for now as I can get to a fairly acceptable mag 4.5 from here on a good night.

Archived