Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How far do you go?

brascoe

just wondered how far ppl travel to get a good decent dark sky not for sp's etc.... I mean say you wake up check the weather think ill go look at the stars tonight im just wondering how far ppl are willing to travel. I was speaking to someone the otherday about there scope they were selling on here and he said the man he got the scope from moved to australia to get some good skies. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My site is about 30mins drive away, though most of the time i just get out in the garden.

Seriously considering a holiday to some ridiculously dark part of the world in the next few years though, like the Tibetan steppe or out in the middle of a desert somewhere... Need to do some research first :)

My site is about 30mins drive away, though most of the time i just get out in the garden.

Seriously considering a holiday to some ridiculously dark part of the world in the next few years though, like the Tibetan steppe or out in the middle of a desert somewhere... Need to do some research first :)

Mid Wales is VERY dark

Bodmin moor is also pretty good.

I do 99% of my observing from my patio which is about 1.5 metres from where my scopes are kept in the dining room. It's quite a dark site once my family and neighbours have gone to sleep :)

On a good night I can easily see the milky way and M31 is just visible to the naked eye.

I am off to Powys soon for a long weekend. Should I make room for my dob? Probably yes. Just need everyone to pray with me for good weather....

It's Mid Wales, so it will rain, however that area of the country ( Scotland aside ) is about as good as it gets, the views of the Milky Way are amazing. Its also a great place to visit in general.

Che,

100 miles / 2 hours their and back...must admit that it sounds mad but i do get to see the family and the sky is so dark in the village that its worth every bit of the journey.

the location is not so far from where the Astro events happen in Norfolk. :)

40 miles for me one way... 50 mins :), but the sky is amazing

Is that the new forest way thats where ive been thinking of going not to sure what its like at night it seems like iw would be pretty dark or i was thinking of queen elizabeth country park

If I'm being lazy, then it's about 10 yards.. If I'm feeling more up to it I'll go as far as 40 yards.. the views better from the far end of the lawn

Derek

(I weighed my whole setup the other day... 11stone!.. I'm only 10stone!)

Is that the new forest way thats where ive been thinking of going not to sure what its like at night it seems like iw would be pretty dark or i was thinking of queen elizabeth country park

The New Forest is moderately good.. you want the very very north or a bit beyond or pretty much on the coast for best results. I've seen my shadow cast by Southampton's light pollution at Fritham.

SCAG meets at a site some way north west of Fritham, I keep meaning to make it out there but life just gets in the way.

Derek

The patio is as far as it goes for me, no need to travel since I can see the MW naked eye on a good night here. Once set up & guiding, I retire to the utility room for coffee, cigs and a comfy chair - only emerging when I have to change filter, take a look at whats upset my guiding - or investigating odd sounds (ie: Badgers at the bottom of the garden nicking our apples).

just wondered how far ppl travel to get a good decent dark sky not for sp's etc.... I mean say you wake up check the weather think ill go look at the stars tonight im just wondering how far ppl are willing to travel. I was speaking to someone the otherday about there scope they were selling on here and he said the man he got the scope from moved to australia to get some good skies. :)

Seriously considering a holiday to some ridiculously dark part of the world in the next few years though, like the Tibetan steppe or out in the middle of a desert somewhere... Need to do some research first :(

I am currently rebuilding an old army ambulance (see avatar) to take me and a scope to really remote skies.

Gotta be a 4x4 to get you well away from everyone and everything.

It's getting there, maybe another years work. Then start saving for fuel/running costs.

The reason being, to get to really remote areas you need to provide your own transport or compromise on the scope you take. Unless you are extremely wealthy (I am not)

I also will be building a large scope to take with me to maximise the experience.

Plus, once you have the kit. All you need after that is the costs each time.

Therefore first trip expensive. Second cheaper etc...

In the meantime it's UK camping trips every chance I get (near new moon).

I will drive pretty much anywhere in the UK if we get clear weather.

I think nothing of a three hour drive to Salisbury plain on a good night.

My regular observing spot takes me 1/2 hour every time I observe (which is nearly every clear night).

Regards Steve

about 50 yrds to bottom of garden , no lights shine there , can easily see the milky way , if it looks like being a good night its about 4miles and 900ft up to family farm at loudoun hill , tis a good site , several times during winter we head off with the ayrastro club to the societys site in galloway , but this winter im planning a trip to loch reicwar high up and remote in the mountainous hartland of galloway , its about an hours trip to the edge of the forest , then 10 miles along the singletrack road beside loch doon , then on to the forest track for about 8 miles winding up into the wilderness , loch riewcar has pretty good horizons , and is awesomly dark .

i think it would be hard to find a better site anywhere short of the westen isles or the remotest parts of the highlands .

as a scout we used to walk and climb in these hills and we would regularly stay at tunskeen bothy and i remember sitting outside at 1am at easter time and the milkyway was so bright it cast a shadow , . we all sat there and gasped in awe ... it for nights like that we strive . i was lucky on a return trip to tunskeen 5 years ago ,when taking my little brothers hillwalking and bothying , we arrived on a clear night moonless night . they also were as amazed as i was 20 years ago . To see a pair of teenage boys brought up on a diet of playstation and tv and mcdonalds , standing in awe pointing at the sky and saying this is the most awesome thing they have ever seen in their life is quite.... moving ..spiritual almost .

well thats my penny worth . so if you see a white dodge ram pick up in the middle of winter heading to galloway ...well you know who it will be ... and if anyone else wants to join us .... pm me

kind regards ...paul

ps , swampy if you fancy a trip in a real (non chevy !!) vehicle or even bring your own , you would be most welcome .

Been camping in the new forest there are some amazing dark sites there well worth the visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New forest is where my site is, i live just outside of ringwood, and a quick drive takes me up to a spot near the high corner inn (close to red shoot caravan park). My local astro group uses a site further north of there called Turf hill. I haven't been there yet, but most LP maps show them pretty identical.

Seems pretty dark to me up there, but i haven't been to any of the legendary super dark sites so i can't really compare them.

I travel about 5 miles to my chosen site but if this site was 10, 20 miles away I would still make the effort. Living in a city is a pain and as great as filters are, they can't compete with dark skies for seeing those faint fuzzies. Mind you, if I only want to look up at the moon then the convenience of the garden comes into play. Overall, there is nothing quite like standing in the middle of farmland late at night, not a sole to be seen or heard, where you can within reason, make as much noise as you like (...includes cries of joy and general swearing when you drop an eyepiece!) but for the most part, to participate in that stillness that helps connect you with silence and tranquility of the cosmos.

James

(For reasons of dramatic effect, you will have noticed that I didn't include the noise of the GOTO as it tip toes across the heavens - NOT! :D:D)

Archived