Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Electronic Focusser

I am thinking of getting the skywatcher electronic focusser to aid focus when setting up for imaging with the SPC900 and 400D.

Is this a good one to go for? Or is there a better one ? I also see that there is a USB box that can connect this to a laptop for finer tuning.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, the focuser is excellent, and with the additional USB box can be controlled via the PC (using a key pad GUI or from within SharpCap). However I purchased a longer lead and tend to use that with the hand box most of the time. Having said that, when using a webcam with a couple of barlows, using the step function in sharpcap to inch the focuser in / out is a godsend

Jason - I had the skywatcher one on my 150p that I just sold and it was fantastic, so much control, there was no way I could fine tune my focus by hand anywhere near the way I could with the electronic one.

Next investment is an electronic focuser for the new dob :)

Thanks Helen. Do you know if it is possible to make a DIY version? Being a Scotsman who lives in Yorkshire I like to spend my pennies wisely; and £72 seems a lot of pennies :). I have made the DIY version of the GPUSB so it must be possible to make a DIY version of this.

Bill

Thanks Helen. Do you know if it is possible to make a DIY version? Being a Scotsman who lives in Yorkshire I like to spend my pennies wisely; and £72 seems a lot of pennies :D. I have made the DIY version of the GPUSB so it must be possible to make a DIY version of this.

Bill

This website (Battery Free Electric Focuser) which was the subject of a stargazer thread shows a way to make a cheap focus motor with servos

See here for the discussion thread.

This website (Battery Free Electric Focuser) which was the subject of a stargazer thread shows a way to make a cheap focus motor with servos

See here for the discussion thread.

Thanks for that. Sorry, I haven't explained properly. I have the SW Autofocuser but I am looking for a cheap DIY way of controlling it from my PC via an Ascom driver. Basically, I am looking for a DIY version of the HitecAstro interface.

Bill

You can't use the focuser manually when the SW focuser is attached. You either use the buttons on the hand controller, or use optional USB HitecAstro DC focuser to control it from the PC

... and if you use the HitechAstro box or Shoestring FCSUSB you can use ASCOMPAD to extend focuser control to a wireless/wired gamepad :D

Chris

• 1 month later...

Does the HitechAstro box connect directly to the SW focuser or does it need the HitecAstro DC Focus box as well? As I already have one HitechAstro box controlling the mount with EQMOD and CdC very successfully is there likely to be any conflict if I add another?

Just emailed FLO to check if the SW Focuser works with the SW Evostar 80 ED DS Pro and seems not out of the box. Has anyone modified this to work with a SW Crayford DS focuser?

I have some references here showing how I modified the SW focusser for my scope. Its very versitile and can be used with many scopes. I used the shoestring USB box for remote control, and the SW box for local control. I also did a mod on the SW control box (described in here) to slow the focusser down.

If the SW motor needs a bracket made plus belt and pulley, I might as well make my own. I have DC motor/gearboxes (with changeable gear ratios) and it seems that's all the SW unit is. I think I could also make a USB controller from one of the USB to RS232 adapters I also have plus some electronics. I checked out the suggestion of the Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB but IMO it's expensive.

I'd love electronic focus but I'd prefer to keep it free of the PC and unreliable USB connections. I'd use the handbox.

Olly

The problem there is the USB bit, you can get serial Focuser's, which are about a million times more reliable than USB

Archived