Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cant decide between 22 and 24 Panoptic

CGolder

I purchased the 22 pan last month and love it, i recently had a chance to buy the 24mm and thought... what the hell ill see what all the fuss is about... now i like them both, but i just cant decide which one i like the most.. performance wise there is nothing between them, they are always used in 2" focusers and the size of the 22 isnt a problem in them

I prefer the wider eye guard on the 22pan but i like the fact the 24 is almost par focal with the 13 nagler lol

The 24 has longer eye relief but a more critical position, had a few blackouts, the 22mm is tighter(not too tight) but never had a blackout

anyone had a similer choice or experience with either of these? :)

I really like the 24mm Panoptic and its parfocal with my 13mm T6 and my 3-6mm Zoom.

They are all in parfocal group B according to Televue.

Not sure about the 22mm I would have thought that was group B as well but not sure as I have not used one.

The 24mm Panoptic maximises the FOV possible from a 1.25" eyepiece. This is important to me as my 102mm Achro only has a 1.25" focuser so it allows the widest possible FOV with this scope (1.5 degrees)

for me this eyepeice occupys the mid ranges, 100x ish in my meade so, doenst matter much to me about 1.25" or 2"

EP FOV Mag TFOV Exit Pupil Mag TFOV Exit Pupil

TV Panoptic 24 68 104 0.65 2.40 63 1.09 2.4

TV Panoptic 22 68 114 0.60 2.20 68 1.00 2.2

as much as I loved the 22mm I think if I had the choice (I have had both) I'd go for the 24mm. it's smaller, lighter and gives a wider field. I never liked the skirt and would be better if it had a thread to allow use of a baader fine tuning ring.

in my scopes the 22mm needed a fair bit more out focus than others another reason to keep the 24mm I suppose.

BUT both superb.

This is only a small point I guess but the 22mm Pan has 18mm of eye relief compared to the 24mm's 15mm. The 22mm has a larger eye lens than the 24mm which might make it seem more "immersive" than the 24mm.

You are a bad influence! :(

Mmm Ethos!

If i had anything else to sell i'd have it but short of selling my soul to devil i'm all out of options :p

Wait a minute!, i think i might have already done that as well when i started on the Televue path :)

I've owned both the 22m and 24mm Panoptics and they're both superb eyepieces. My preference would be the 24mm for that little bit extra f.o.v. and for it's smaller size and weight.

Must say, I never had problems with blackout or kidney beaning in any of the scopes I used it in and have always found it a very comfortable eyepiece to use.

The other plus for the 24mm is its usability in top end binoviewers where vignetting isn't a problem, however if you don't intend to go that route and you're using other 1.25" eyepiece with 2" skirts (such as the 13mm Ethos) then the 22m makes sense and is also a classically great eyepiece.

• 4 weeks later...
Sell both, get 21mm Ethos :D

There is a 17mm Ethos on ABS at the minute for £415.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

The sale of both your Pans would get you most of the way there and show more fov with increased contrast than both. Food for thought ;)

Funny Enough Damo,

I actually just did a trade for this 17mm ethos, i swapped my 22 pan and 13mm t6 nagler for it + cash.

i love the 22 but feel its my main workhorse eyepiece so deserves to have the cash spent, the 13mm nagler was very nice but too much mag to actually make use of the 82 degree fov so going to use my plossls for now and might get a BGO again or try something new for planets :) cant wait for my first look though an ethos :)

its going to arrive today before 1pm... its like christmas :) the postman is santa and i keep asking the wife if he has been to deliver my gifts :) must have been a good boy this year

I know the feeling. Just had my "hand grenade" (31T5) delivered yesterday ;).

Enjoy the Ethos when it arrives!

I've had my 17mm Ethos for about a month and a half, give or take.. it's the best eyepiece I have ever used, other people's gear included. It simply will not disappoint - if mine's anything to go by, you're in for quite a ride! My first look at the seven sisters through that Ethos took my breath away..

Archived