Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar H-a from today 12/10/11

Photosbykev

at last I get to play again with the big yellow ball ! last time the PST came out was the 28th of September :rolleyes:

3 from today taken in a 10 minute window of blue sky. I'm pleased I didn't miss the big prom I've been watching for days on Gong-Ha.

Taken with a DMK41 and 2.5x Powermate on a PST solarscope mounted on a EQ3 synscan pro guided with DSSR

20111012134135.jpg

20111012135029.jpg

20111012134323.jpg

Firstly, great pics. I have been watching the last couple of days on Gong too. I'm hoping we get a break eventually.

Also that comparison is pretty interesting, hard to say which is preferable. They both have good points.

Excellent capture of the proms!

Cheers for the comparison of the software. I have gone whole-heartedly with AviStack and not looking back. For solar images it seems to bring out the detail in the features better. Personal preference I am sure but glad to see a recent comparison.

Great images there Kev! Can't see the Newtons Rings - you been tinkering?

Interesting comparison between avistack and registax. I always stack using avistack but then apply wavelets to the 'raw' image in registax (v5)

Great images there Kev! Can't see the Newtons Rings - you been tinkering?

Interesting comparison between avistack and registax. I always stack using avistack but then apply wavelets to the 'raw' image in registax (v5)

I do prefer the finer wavelet control in Registax and the realtime preview it gives. Avistack does have the power and appears to get more out of an image. The image above is over processed in Avistack but that's just using default settings, fine tuning would still give the detail but in a more subtle manner.

re the Newton Rings. I've made up a set of compression rings from stainless steel shim material ranging from 0.1mm to 1mm in thickness that I can wrap around the nose pieces so I can improve the axial alignment of the Powermate and CCD. I have opened up the PST to check the prism alignment and visually it looks very close to parallel to the top plate, if not completely parallel.

It has improved the problem but they still appear at random which is annoying lol

Archived