First post from the Desert SW ??

seigell

Not likely... But I am here to plant a flag (or position a virtual pushpin) a good bit outside the dominant cluster of UK Poster origins. While one of us does drive on the "Wrong Side of the Road", I figure that we all view the stars in about the same basic orientation...

I'm in a suburb of Phoenix AZ, deep enough in a Bortle White-Red area that picking out Polaris is a challenge some nights. But a 50-75 mile drive out into the desert foothills can alleviate that. And I have a truly Dark Sky site about a 500 mi roadtrip away, at which the problem is picking Polaris out of a too-rich star field (nice problem to have...).

I'm not exactly an astro-noob - but then I wouldn't claim expert amateur status yet, either. I will admit to a burgeoning case of "gadget-itis" to the result of a small collection of scopes, a good dozen eyepieces, and extensions and bits galore.

Cheers...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Seigell,

Welcome to SGL from your neighbo(u)r to the southeast.

Yes there are plenty of people from the United Kingdom in SGL- in fact I was born and raised there. However the lure of dark skies brought me to a little bit of heaven somewhere between Deming and old Mexico. Stop by and visit if you ever find yourself heading east on I-10

Eric

Hi Seigel and welcome to SGL, look up the Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas, just been reprinted in English and may be just what you need for finding things from a very dark site, it will be available in the US very soon now :rolleyes:

John.

Archived