Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I've got my eye on this scope...

CJBooth

So I'm a newbie, I haven't had a telescope of my own before and have been reading up on telescopes.

I've got my eye on this: SkyWatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 150mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope

I've started looking at this due to some of the advice on the forum that is posted in the beginner areas. A combination of cost (I've made the assumption that reflectors are cheaper than refractors due to the amount of glass used in a refractor, much like lenses in photography) the magnification that's adequate for a beginner like me and the fact it leaves me with some budget for books and such.

Have I made a good choice? Is my logic sound?

If not, what else should I be looking at.

I won't be making a purchase until I have been to one meet at the very least so I can have a sneaky peak at the scopes in use. :rolleyes:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know when I was checking out scopes 4 years ago I went for an EQ mount and reflector as I thought nudging a newt on a dobsonian mount would be a pain. One of the first things I discovered was that EQ mounts take some getting used to regarding where the eyepiece is located as the scope is pointed at different areas of the sky, resulting in having to rotate the scope tube to be able to look down the ep. The set up, whilst not being that hard once your used to it, does take a lot longer than a dob. I ended up building a dob mount for my 200p and wished I'd got it like that in the first place. The nudging is nothing like the issue I thought it would be.

So, with that in mind, how about this: First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

I would second the above comment, it's a bigger mirror as well, so will give you more objects that will be available to you.

If you decide in the future you want an EQ mount, they can be had for a good price second hand, and you could mount the 8" on it also at some point.

There's no perfect telescope, or mount. On planets or double stars, at high power, you would most definitely prefer an equatorial, but a dob mount is quite usable on most other targets. The EQ3-2 mount is fairly lightweight, and won't have a great margin of stability with a six inch reflector, and would be unsuitable for anything bigger. If you decide to go the equatorial route, stretch if possible to the more robust EQ5 - they come up very cheaply in the used market. The optimal choice depends on what sort of observing you major on : but since, as you say, you haven't owned a scope before that's a question not easily answered.

Beg, wheedle, or ingratiate yourself with a club or individual who can show you these type of scopes in action. If you're anywhere near Loughborough I can offer some help.

If it stops raining!

cheers

Neil

Dobs are great for several reasons. Firstly, the mounts are cheap to make, meaning you get more scope for your money. Secondly, they're easy to use, EQ mounts can take some getting used to and you sometimes have to rotate the scope to get the eyepiece in a sensible place. Thirdly, they're super easy to set up, just literally plonk them down and they're ready.

They are however, pretty useless for imaging (except maybe some planetary webcam snaps).

Dobs are great for several reasons.

They are however, pretty useless for imaging (except maybe some planetary webcam snaps).

That could be a deciding factor. I have a 50D available for imaging so I'd be looking, eventually, to give it a go.

Well, a proper imaging setup requires a heavy duty mount, at least an EQ-5, preferably an HEQ-5 or EQ6. It's a pretty expensive hobby to jump into straight off.

You'd be ok doing basic planetary imaging with a dob/lesser EQ mount, that'l give you a start and get you used to processing etc. If at a later date you decide to go in for DSO imaging, then you can always sell the dob and recoup most of what you spent on it.

Sounds like a no brainer.

I put my old photography gear up for sale today (I'm keeping the body, a trusty 50D) to fund this. I've got some time to take in all of the advice I can before purchasing.

:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the help, it's very much appreciated.

I would also recommend the Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. They are very easy to setup and use. If you decide you want a tracking mount (for photography) at a later date you can use the same tube on an equatorial mount like this.........

post-13701-133877676436_thumb.jpg

I didn't know you could swap them onto those mounts (learning already).

The one thing I have noted is the dimensions of these, one is 120mm as opposed to the other being 750mm. How easy are these to transport? (weight and bulk)

You need to see some in the flesh to determine size, weight, and portability. But generally up to 8" and a CG5/EQ5 equatorial mount are highly transportable. They break down in 3 bits anyway. An 8" dobsonian will break in two parts also, easy to lift and fits in most cars. 10" and upwards is when you start getting into "large" and "heavy" territory. :rolleyes:

CJ, before you spend your hard-earned, here's a suggestion:- Try out both yourself and 'get a feel' for these yourself. Rusty loves Dobs, I hate them.

You will find both at any EMS meet (which will become more frequent now the dark nights are here.) Or you can call in at my house (At Junction 28) and play with both some time.

Whatever, try before you buy.

On another note; you mention 'while you lean the sky.' Well any telescope is pretty bad at doing that with! Much better would be Stellarium and some binoculars - total cost £25.

Steve

if you are seriously thinking of doing some imaging then your going to need motors for you eq mount. second hand and good heq5 can be bought for around £500, it`s alot but bought second hand and if you decide to sell you can get your money back.

You will find both at any EMS meet (which will become more frequent now the dark nights are here.) Or you can call in at my house (At Junction 28) and play with both some time.

Thanks for the offer, I'd like to see some beforehand so either the meet or coming to see those sounds great.

That's actually the second offer tonight of the same thing, going to see somebody elses kit. This is an awesome little group here. :rolleyes:

On another note; you mention 'while you learn the sky.' Well any telescope is pretty bad at doing that with! Much better would be Stellarium and some binoculars - total cost £25.Steve

I've heard that's the case and have been pointed to some 10x50 binoculars. Stellarium I have on my laptop already.

Cheers

Craig

if you are seriously thinking of doing some imaging then your going to need motors for you eq mount. second hand and good heq5 can be bought for around £500, it`s alot but bought second hand and if you decide to sell you can get your money back.

I've read that. Imaging will come much later I think, no point running before I can walk.

My 50D is boxed and will be pulled out when I'm ready. :rolleyes:

one thing that i`ve learned the hard way, and many people advice is to start with the mount first, i.e. buy the best you can afford, the all the other scopes, newtonians, sct, apos and so on can all be mounted onto the mount with now problems

one thing that i`ve learned the hard way, and many people advice is to start with the mount first, i.e. buy the best you can afford, the all the other scopes, newtonians, sct, apos and so on can all be mounted onto the mount with now problems

This is something I found confusing until a lightbulb moment a couple of days ago.

See, as a beginner I thought that Dobsonian was another type of telescope. It's only when I realised it was the mount that it all came together. :rolleyes:

Assuming nothing changes when I see these things in the flesh for the first time, my current plan is the Skywatcher 200P scope, EQ5 mount, a good set of binoculars and some additional warm clothing. I've got Stellarium on the laptop and have an app on my phone as well.

Personally I would go with the 10x50's, they give a wider field of view and you are able to hand hold them. The 20x50's will be a lot harder to hold, will have a narrower field of view and would have a dimmer image due to the narrow view and increased magnification.

Archived