Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I've got my eye on this scope...

CJBooth

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha! At long last - Congrats CJ ;)

Bit of advice - at the bottom of each strut there's a bit of tape - do not remove! These hold sprung ballbearings in place that help to maintain collimation :headbang:

I wish I'd known that beforehand!!

:)

Yeah - I did it too before finding out lol - you will be able to manually adjust them but best to put a bit of gaffer tape on them when you find the sweet spot on each. Just don't undo them too far or the spring will pop the ballbearing out and you'll be chasing it round the floor for ages lol :)

It's great, I love it. Heavy, so I need to get used to lifting properly before I hurt something! :)

I had it out last night for the first time and used it on the two most obvious objects, the moon and Jupiter. It was amazing. ;)

Now it's time to start learning!

Initially I felt it was too bright and put the filter on, but then had a go without the filter. I enjoyed it both with and without the filter, and the light reduction did work a treat. :)

I even put the 6mm eyepiece in, which worked remarkably well though not well enough that I'd choose that over the 12mm eyepiece.

All in all, a good night.

It was superb, I didn't use any filters but I could easily make out the belts, the moons and even the shadows of a moon as it passed. It was brilliant. ;)

Now I need to learn how to use the tracking to keep stuff in view. :)

As the moon gets fuller it will get even brighter. Take the small cap off the tube end cap (put it on the round bit that sticks up so you don't loose it) and replace the end cap on the tube. You'll get just as much definition but you'll reduce the brightness considerably :)

So, I'm sat outside with Stellarium and my scope. After some reading I stored my latitude and began searching, after 20 minutes of which I landed myself the ring nebula! Big cheesy grin ensued. :)

After that, my luck has gone.

I've been trying to find a galaxy that shows in Stellarium as magnitude 15, which my simple reasoning tells me I should be able to find. An hour later and lots of persistence, nothing.

Am I being too ambitious?

What would make some good targets to get me started?

Archived