NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've got my eye on this scope...

CJBooth

What Martyn said! 20x50 would be less suitable for you. Again, try before you buy. Personally, I believe magnification is yiour enemy much of the time. I'd be quite happy for you to try out mine. 7x50, 8x40 and 15x70 side by side - see the differemce for real with skies and eyes - not on paper!

10x50 seems to be the size favoured as the 'normal' stargazing equipment though I don't know why. 7x50 give a wider field of view 15x70 show up things like the moons of Jupiter. 10x50s are maybe the happy medium giving the best of both worlds, though I would say the worst of both worlds! Try before you buy if possible.

Having said that (I always try to discourage people from spending money blindly ! ) you're not going to lose much with those 10x50s which you've found but ONLY because they have a decent name behind them and will likely be decent quality. I also have some 7x50s which are absolutely goddam awful but their spec is equal to my others (BAK4 fully coated multis.)

Steve

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than start a thread, I'll just ask in here.

With the dark nights drawing in, and weather permitting, are there likely to be folks heading to Sawley or Belper during the week? (Monday to Thursday)

Thanks

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Mid-week meets tend to be rare. Having said that, I've had about 20 visits to the CC on dark moonless nights, most of these mid-week. There has never been anyone else there (apart from the quarterly Saturday evening meets.) Most people seem to like to arrange things in advance; my style is to up and go with no notice - hence little time to arrange anything!

Steve

Can anybody comment on the quality of these two items?

Celestron Advanced C8 NGT Telescope

Celestron Eyepiece & Filter Kit 1.25"

I'm not discounting the Skywatcher 200P, but as I am not in a rush to buy I am quite open to considering other options. My colleague at work praises Celestron and and I see good reviews around. The eyepiece kit linked above may be purchased regardless of the scope I choose if they are of good quality.

Thanks

Craig

Both very capable bits of kit, although the celestron cg5gt mount is louder when spewing I.e. moving at high speed compaired to the skywatcher version. I've had both and I like the software on the celestron better, but the skywatcher is my predetermined choice although it is more expensive.

Ha!! I know that problem, half of my messages make no sense with the predictive text. :)

I've also looked at a couple of other scopes. I'm keeping my options as open as possible, given I have the budget to do it, but the latter of these scopes is at the top end of my budget.

Celestron Omni XLT 150mm Refractor Telescope

Celestron Advanced C6 SGT XLT Telescope

And that's my lot, four scopes that I've considered starting with the Skywatcher 200P, then the Celestron C8 NGT, the Celestron Omni XLT 150mm and finally the Celestron Advanced C6 SGT XLT.

I'll be getting the eyepiece kit regardless I think.

I still won't make a purchase until I have been to at least one meet though. Nothing quite like being able to talk to people. :)

i had the advanced c6 sgt xlt but in the se orange colour scope on a cg5gt mount, lovely scope and very versitile, good on planets being f10 and dso`s and not bad for imaging using a focal reducer i.e f6.3 or f3.3, the f6.3 one can be used for visual also, gives a better field of view. now upgraded to a 8" sct which i love having waited ages for one to come up for sale, people tend to hang on to them.

did also post something about the eyepiece set your thinking of, but my phone doesn`t seem to have posted it, or i might have been half asleep, anyway i have the Revelation set which i belive has the edge on the Celestron set and aalso cheaper for some reason, but it seems to have a good set of possels in it, mine is the older set which didn`t include a barlow but has a extra eyepiece, i`m also thing of maybe selling the set in favor of a new hyperion, if you are interested send me a pm.

also if the weathers good Thursday night i`m planing of setting the scope setup out about half eight if you fancy comimg down, just 2 minutes of junction 25 M1

i had the advanced c6 sgt xlt but in the se orange colour scope on a cg5gt mount, lovely scope and very versitile, good on planets being f10 and dso`s and not bad for imaging using a focal reducer i.e f6.3 or f3.3, the f6.3 one can be used for visual also, gives a better field of view. now upgraded to a 8" sct which i love having waited ages for one to come up for sale, people tend to hang on to them.

did also post something about the eyepiece set your thinking of, but my phone doesn`t seem to have posted it, or i might have been half asleep, anyway i have the Revelation set which i belive has the edge on the Celestron set and aalso cheaper for some reason, but it seems to have a good set of possels in it, mine is the older set which didn`t include a barlow but has a extra eyepiece, i`m also thing of maybe selling the set in favor of a new hyperion, if you are interested send me a pm.

also if the weathers good Thursday night i`m planing of setting the scope setup out about half eight if you fancy comimg down, just 2 minutes of junction 25 M1

I'm at work at the no but will drop you a PM later. I'd definitely be up for a trip down the motorway. :)

Cheers

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

You really need a trip to a meeting so you can see through some of these scopes Craig. There's pretty much at least one of everything you've mentioned in the group. And I can bring a Celestron ep kit to the next meet for you to try out. I'll be selling mine too but, not to anyone I know lol :)

I know, I am a pain in the proverbial behind for asking lots of questions... It annoys my girlfriend something mad! :)

I've not yet made a purchase and I've been able to get up close with a refractor thus far. Nice bit of kit. :)

It will be good to get to one of the meets.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an update from Harrison Telescopes today... Apparently the OTA arrived as expected by somehow the base did not arrive with it. They are now trying to track it down.

:icon_salut:

An alternative is the none Auto flex-tube.

How easy is the nudging with one of these?

Craig, your situation sounds like mine mate - can't make my mind up what to do !!!! :D But time is the one thing we do have so lets not rush it.

I still like the CPC series. But the CGEM look good too. Then again, what about a Dob ? Ad infinitum....... :icon_salut:

Steve

Archived