NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aoraki's build

Aoraki

5th Oct 2011

Shiney bits arrived today! These are the runners and wheels required for the roof. All I need to do now is raise the roof a little so the tracks are clear of the roof joists and measure up and fabricate the brackets to hold the wheels in position. The wheels have bearings in designed to take 200kg load each and are super smooth in operation.

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

The only slight problem is the tracks are about 56mm wide and my joists are only 50mm, oh well, you can't win 'em all!

IMAG0217.jpg

Also ordered today is the rubber roofing and adhesives, from rubber4roofs.co.uk. That should arrive tomorrow so if the weekend is good, I'll be busy again.

Gina, yes a false/suspended ceiling will be required, not sure as to wether I'll bother to insulate it though, opinions on this would assist me greatly.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking good so far, maybe would have gone for more than four rollers though. Would you be able to retro fit more if the roof sags?

Yes, very easy. Hopefully it wont sag, track/wheels are on the 8' sides not the 14' width and all roof joists are 6"x2" tappering to 4"x2" at the rear. Also, the wheels wont be set at the extreme corners of the roof but about 12" to 18' in so only about 5' to 6' between them.

6th Oct 2011

Roofing materials have arrived. Two large boxes! Friday may be the better day to glue the rubber down, Sat & Sun look a bit miserable.

IMAG0218.jpg

Had an haour or so after work to fit more siding to North end of shed, now covers joists and slightly proud of ground level, also fitted two log laps to the front, that takes them just below what will be decking level. Hopefully decking will go down over the weekend, along with fitting of the tracks and wheels.

IMAG0219.jpg

7th Oct 2011

Not much to report today, work got in the way for the most part!

Fabricated the brackets which will hold the wheels for the RORO. Pic 1 shows a pair post paint.

IMAG0220.jpg

Below shows the correct orientation. The brackets fit between the roof joists bolted with M10 coach bolts.

IMAG0221.jpg

Close up of wheel assembly showing vertical adjustment via slotted hole, there is also a bit of horizontal adjustment by altering the amount of heavy washers on either side of bearings (out of shot).

IMAG0222.jpg

More timber collected today, 6"x2" joists, decking and roof facia. All I need now is a good weekend, shame about the forecast.

8th Oct 2011

English weather! It slowed progress somewhat, I had planned/hoped to glue the rubber roof down and fit the fascias, but it was not to be.

Plan "B" - Fit the RORO wheels and brackets and lower the roof into it's final position.

IMAG0224.jpg

I have managed to keep the gap between walls and roof to 20mm, this will be covered by the fascia and possibly including a brush strip as per garage doors.

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

This got me through to lunchtime when Mick the tame joiner arrived to assist me, or do I assist him? Yeah, I assist him....

As it was too wet to atempt the roofing, we diverted to the decking. Framework made from 6"x2" timbers.

IMAG0228.jpg

Next was to cut all deck boards to approximate length. We didn't fix them at this point as I need to remove a couple of lights and resite them, that can be number one job tomorrow, then the rubber, then.........

IMAG0230.jpg

Looking very good :) Yes, the weather is a nuisance! Typical understatement!!!! Very cold here today - had to dig out my winter clobber :) Old anorak and woolly hat.

I have managed to keep the gap between walls and roof to 20mm, this will be covered by the fascia and possibly including a brush strip as per garage doors.

IMAG0225.jpg

]

Some pretty close tolerances on the tracking system. I bet that took some working out to get it all aligned right. :)

All very close, I had made provisions for some lateral adjustment, two 1.5mm thick washers either side of bearing, but no adjustment was needed and all wheels are centered. I will be fitting a central set of wheels to help the roof from sagging, these will not be on a track though, just on a flat steel so I don't have to worry about lining up three tracks.

9 Oct 2011

More progress today. First the lights were moved and the decking was screwed down. Then the rubber roofing! It actually went surprisingly well. No dramatics or problems to report.

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

Side and front fascias fitted just the rear fascia, guttering and downpipes to install and that will be the roof completed. Yes the walls look a mess, need to get them sorted when the sheds finished!

I wouldn't say the walls are a mess, in fact, I think the whole thing is looking very neat and tidy. :) :)

That flat roof looks really good :happy1: I see you only have a very small slope on it. I can well see that a one piece roof waterproofing would be particularly good with your design. Saves having many strips of roofing felt with it's attendant problems :D If I'd known I was using the rubber sheeting I could have had a shallower slope :D

All very close, I had made provisions for some lateral adjustment, two 1.5mm thick washers either side of bearing, but no adjustment was needed and all wheels are centered. I will be fitting a central set of wheels to help the roof from sagging, these will not be on a track though, just on a flat steel so I don't have to worry about lining up three tracks.

Do you think the roof will sag in the longer axis then? I can't quite picture where the 'third rail' will be- is there an internal beam for it to sit on? Or are the centre wheels going to be on tracks parallel to the existing track?

Archived