Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what was that ?

hi all,

another night of looking like a deranged periscope user but without the submarine :( still searching here there and everywhere for something interesting,whilst paying my usual visit to jupiter tonight i noticed with eyes only and not the scope, what i can only describe as a very small grey cloud just off to the left,i could see this out of the corner of my eye but it almost vanished when i looked directly at it,once i looked at this through the scope it showed up as a group of stars,not to many but just enough that i could not see them all in the eye piece,they were very bright too,have i at last found something lol.......someone please tell me i have :)

roll on wednesday when help is on its way,delivery of my goto mount.

That's got me stumped!

There isn't much in the sky just to the east of Jupiter at the moment...

Aliens?!

Do you have Stellarium (free planetarium software)? I find it invaluable for determining what I am actually looking at and use it all the time even though I have a GOTO scope...

Wouldn't be a globular cluster if it was over filling the field of view a s they are relatively small

M45 sounds quite likely, would be in roughly the right place

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hi bibbsy. M45 should be easily a naked eye object but can be quite faint when low down or if your light pollution is bad. Best to view in your lowest power ep, looks good in binoculars too

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

When not looking directly at it, especially in a light polluted area or when it is very low in thy sky, M45 might seem fuzzy or cloud-ish. However, last night I was out at the airfield and with M45 very high in thy sky, I could distinctly see the seven brightest stars (Seven Sisters as thy are called) with a naked eye.

Viewing M45 though a telescope is a bit tough due to its angular size. Even with my 72° aFOV 17mm ERFLE eyepiece I use for widefield observing (53x with my focal ratio), I can not fit Pleiades in one field of view. :) I get dozens of very bright blue-ish stars, but at first glance, it does not seem like open cluster at all with that sort of magnification. So a field reducer or a longer focal-ratio EP is in order.

mate, im not much further down the list either, but on a clear night with that dob you have , youll be seeing plenty, remember to let your eyes get dark adapted.

beleave this or not when i go back in the house ,i put sunglass`s on but most of the time i fill the flask cos the kids and miss`s hate the door opening and close in all night

Archived