Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just finished modding my dob base.

Daz Type-R

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, lazy susan is now on and slides. scopes now cooling so i hope to get a chance to try her out. i found with the slide gliders i took the sticky pads off ,left the black rubber on with a small piece of plastic underneath. seems to turn very well,BUT its not exactly quiet.

yes grease is probably best bet,actually not that bad when moving slowly (as you do when observing) . for some reason i have very slightly different heights on the guides,i think the lazysusan has been fitted on just a fraction off centre,which has made the bolt angled (were talking about 1mm). so i may copy your idea (i.e, half bolt and secure the base board ,and get a bigger bolt). but my first attempt outside wasnt great it was as i susspected ,to loose,even wind would make it slew ! i'll get there .

"Just to clarify the mod, everything attaches to the lower base and then the upper base just sits on the bearing, not actually attached to it?"

Why not screw the lazy susan to both boards and get rid of the centre bolt altogether? That way it will be perfectly centred (by definition), with probably less wear. I'm a bit confused by the advice I've read just to mount it to one side though perhaps that's coming from the perspective that there's already a bolt there and it looks a bit tricky to screw the LS to both boards as it's on the inside (it's easy though) - equally I might have missed something so apologies if that comes across badly. I've tried this out with some small lazy susan bearings and am in the process of doing it for a full size mount I'm building (when I have the free time, probably only a couple of hours to finish it now).

btw, to screw a LS bearing to both boards note that on one side of the LS there are holes for the screws and some other larger holes - these allow access to the other plate of the LS. So mount it to the bottom board (for example), with an access hole drilled in the board and positioned to line up with one of the access holes in the LS. Lay the top board on top, turn over and attach it by screwing in screws through the access hole.

I think it's the access hole that put people off. No sense drilling and cutting when you really don't need to.

Also, the bolt is much stronger and deals with lateral movement much better. With the weights involved i wouldn't want to tip the mount on it's side with no support ( eg loading in car/carrying etc) if it were just the lazy susan holding it, for fear of ripping the thing apart or deforming it.

Okay, that sounds reasonable enough. However I think I'll give screwing both sides a go myself, as I want to keep the centre free for a 5cm x 5cm hole I plan on making to directly mount a digital rotary angle gauge - i.e. the standard one. My mount will be black gloss (partially undercoated it tonight, yay!), so I'll drill the access hole as 1" diameter and use a black tube end plastic insert to cap it (and it'll be on the bottom). In the end, mine's a simple diy job so everything can be replaced or fixed if the lazy susan isn't strong enough, though I think it's probably okay for general moving depending on the design of the base.

Okay, that sounds reasonable enough. However I think I'll give screwing both sides a go myself, as I want to keep the centre free for a 5cm x 5cm hole I plan on making to directly mount a digital rotary angle gauge - i.e. the standard one. My mount will be black gloss (partially undercoated it tonight, yay!), so I'll drill the access hole as 1" diameter and use a black tube end plastic insert to cap it (and it'll be on the bottom). In the end, mine's a simple diy job so everything can be replaced or fixed if the lazy susan isn't strong enough, though I think it's probably okay for general moving depending on the design of the base.

I may be being dim... But I can't see how you can screw top and bottom? Unless you have access holes strategically positioned in both boards

"Just to clarify the mod, everything attaches to the lower base and then the upper base just sits on the bearing, not actually attached to it?"

Why not screw the lazy susan to both boards and get rid of the centre bolt altogether? That way it will be perfectly centred (by definition), with probably less wear. I'm a bit confused by the advice I've read just to mount it to one side though perhaps that's coming from the perspective that there's already a bolt there and it looks a bit tricky to screw the LS to both boards as it's on the inside (it's easy though) - equally I might have missed something so apologies if that comes across badly. I've tried this out with some small lazy susan bearings and am in the process of doing it for a full size mount I'm building (when I have the free time, probably only a couple of hours to finish it now).

btw, to screw a LS bearing to both boards note that on one side of the LS there are holes for the screws and some other larger holes - these allow access to the other plate of the LS. So mount it to the bottom board (for example), with an access hole drilled in the board and positioned to line up with one of the access holes in the LS. Lay the top board on top, turn over and attach it by screwing in screws through the access hole.

Just read back a page... Penny drops :D

Did mine last night -took an hour or so. The gliders I bought came on self adhesive pads - still screwed to the base but the pads mean I havent had to lift them with washers. Smooth as silk now. There isnt much of the centre boly left protruding through now, so I ve wrapped the threads in PTFE tape to stop the nut unscrewing.

I may be being dim... But I can't see how you can screw top and bottom? Unless you have access holes strategically positioned in both boards

What you do is attach the lazy susan on one board and the other board can be attached with just one single access hole. As you center and rotate the second board the hole will rotate over other mounting points on the lazy susan.

In addition to my post above, the second board do not need to be secured to the lazy susan if you're using a center pivot bolt. Just make sure the center pivot bolt is fitted snuggly, preferably with bushings so there will be no 'wobble' over the long run.

• 1 month later...

i think i need to carry out that mod on the base bolt . ive noticed sinse useing the lazy susan that the nut spins now and then with the movement of the board ,so it becomes way to loose over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived