Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just finished modding my dob base.

Daz Type-R

ali center bush and top and bottem washers made in s/steel

This is where Lenny's collar / sleeve mod wins out. Should be much better where long term wear is concerned.

I have no access to a lathe etc. so went for the simplest option (to me)

Thats the beauty of this forum ...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ali center bush and top and bottem washers made in s/steel

This is where Lenny's collar / sleeve mod wins out. Should be much better where long term wear is concerned.

I have no access to a lathe etc. so went for the simplest option (to me)

Thats the beauty of this forum ...

Many thanks......no access to machined parts for me also, looks like I'll have to go for the simplest option. Don't know why I'm worrying about pivotal wear, I never get a chance to use it :clouds1::clouds2:

Mines been used probably 8 or 9 times since I modded it and the wear seems minimal so far, if push comes to shove I'll do plans for an M16 bolt and drill the centre hole out to suit :D

with our weather that could be along way off knobby ! :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Another post of gratitude to all who have shared their experiences & advice on this thread, esp Daz and Knobby.

Having tried Turtle Wax & general fiddling but still not being happy ( it was better but not much) we did the mod at the weekend and last night was clear and using the scope was wonderful.

So easy to get an object EXACTLY centred in the finders cross hairs so that even at high mag it was bang in the middle of the EP view and keeping Jupiter in view even at x200 was an absolute doddle instead of an experience where the frustration of doing so almost outweighed the pleasure of viewing.

Sland - my Alt also now feels like the sticky bit, so will be interested in your experience with the 'tape'.

Thanks everyone,

I added a few strip of gaming mouse teflon tape around the red circles on the alt bearing and it's just as good as the lazy susan mod. Definitely worth doing.

Sorry but if I do this I want to be sure I haven't misunderstood: Around meaning a larger circle outside the red circle or over the red circle ? Thanks.

Quite impressed, it seems to have freed up the alt axis to the point it is as easy to slew as the Az.

Sland, where did you put the tape? Thanks,

The alt action on my 150p is awful. The lazy susan mod is certainly going to be done, but I'm at a loss as to improve the alt.

It is either so tight that movement is very stiff or when loosened there is lots play. The only thing I can think of is some kind of collet that sits between the shaft of the handle and the plastic guide in the mount.

Sland, where did you put the tape? Thanks,

I put it around the large bearing, not the small bearings that the scope sits on

The alt action on my 150p is awful. The lazy susan mod is certainly going to be done, but I'm at a loss as to improve the alt.

It is either so tight that movement is very stiff or when loosened there is lots play. The only thing I can think of is some kind of collet that sits between the shaft of the handle and the plastic guide in the mount.

How about a CD?

• 3 months later...

I am doign these modifications to my 12 Dob as well. Infact, my dob *was* a Goto. I cannot get on with it - it is rubbish IMO - so I stripped it down and will sell the Goto parts and handset. I am turning it into a Manual dob and rebuilding the base entirely.

I wonder if the answer to the alt issue is just counterbalancing the primary end of the ota?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Good point, things do run a lot smoother when the scope is well balanced

Archived