NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help me spend my £400!

Hello all!

Please could I ask for some (more) advice on my first telescope purchase. After a long while set on the Skywatcher 200p on the eq5 mount I have now (nearly) decided to go with 200 Dob. It seems to get such recommendations that for a first scope it would be the best package for the money I have.

I have a good sized back garden, not to overlooked, in a darkish village in North Yorks. I am interested in seeing the planets but also DSO etc. The whole family is coming on the journey with me and I discounted the eq5 as I wanted us all to be able to just move the dob round with ease and get straight into viewing without to much fiddling.

I mean to attend my local Astro Society (York) but shifts mean that it will be some time before I can get there and I would like to purchase before then..

I have a max budget of £400 and with the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian coming in at £271 at FLO that leaves me about £120 after postage. Now for the help part!

What would be the most useful accessories to go with it (must be within overall budget)? would it be dew flaps, new eye piece, Telrad etc. I would like to have a solid starter package to get cracking with and family being what it is I wont have this sort of money free again for a while to come.

I already have the following:

- 10x40 Nikon Bins + tripod and mount

- Turn Left at Orion (came on Sat - Spiral bound!)

- Stargazing with Binos book pack

- Stellarium

- Star walk on iPad (which has totally stoked my interest) and some other apps.

- Red light head torch

Anyone care to spend my money for me.......?

Thank you.

Agree with the above - a "Wixey" is a digital angle gauge. You put it against the telescope tube and it tells you the angle to the horizontal. For collimation a "Cheshire" collimation tool will do (And Astro baby's website - just Google it).

Hey Darkstomper I have a s/w 200 dob with a telrad and wixey and really could not be happier, and I’m a newbie. This set-up is so fast to set up and take down. The other thing I love about it, is that I’m learning the sky so much faster than I did with my etx70 goto.

As others have said and you have mentioned a telrad is a good idea, and look into getting a wixey. I would look into getting a nice eyepiece as you say, I have the eyepieces that came with the scope and they are not really bad, but not good either. I seem to get better views with a 32mm plossl and when I want to get better magnification I use a 2x barlow. I’m not sure why this seems to work better than the standard e/p’s but it does. Ask about eyepieces here and I’m sure you will get really good advise. I’m trying to sort out E/P’s too... So much to learn!

Maybe look into filters? I have a neodymium filter for L/P, but wish I bought a OIII filter instead as the 200 is great for DSO’s and I have little L/P.

Get your scope and these bits and you will still want to spend money on something I bet you!

I

So maybe

2x barlow

Telrad

wixey

laser collimator

Dew shield (easy to make)

Good luck you will love it! Can’t tell you about FLO as mine was secondhand.

I don't know about the 200P, but the 250PX doesn't include a barlow as standard, but that is no loss really. A Telrad, 12mm and 8mm BST Explorer EP's and something fairly tall to sit on would be my top tips.

Camping mat dew shield is very useful. If you fit a dew shield you will want something to stick on the tub to hold onto to move the scope about. The wonderfully named 'Dob knob'. I have a kitchen draw handle stuck on with Telrad tape.

Edit...oh yes, and a Cheshire.

an 8" dob would be a fine purchase given your stated circumstances.

my list is very like the others but here goes:

1) a red dot finder of some type £20-40 (I personally prefer Telrads but the First Light Optics - Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III is very good I have found recently)

2) right angle correct image finder First Light Optics - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope maybe £68

3) camping mat dew shield (perhaps £2)

4) red torch - make your own by cutting two disks from skimmed milk bottle tops and putting into the lens housing

5) copy of Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas: Amazon.co.uk: Roger W. Sinnott: Books £8

6) sell your straight finder on the dob - recoup maybe £15

7) 8mm BST from 1.25" Eyepieces

this would give you a great starting kit and FLO may even do a deal on some of them if you buy your scope there too.

with an 8" dob a standard garden chair will do for most positions and a wixey can come later - I don't like them personally.

having a right angled finder WITH a red dot finder works wonders for positioning the scope and locating objects.

good luck with your new adventure!

My choices would be the Wixey, the Telrad (on a raised mount) and most certainly a right angled finder. Hang fire for a while on the eyepieces etc because I think you would benefit taking the scope to one of your club's observation evenings where you can try out other member's 'glass' to see what suits. Here, I am definitely an advocate of 'try before you buy' and would aim to buy the best you can afford as the scope may change but eyepieces will last you a lifetime and are worth the investment. That doesn't mean you have to buy new by the way, as there are some good used eyepieces on here that will meet your needs. In fact buying used is great because should you want to sell them to upgrade, you can probably sell them for what you paid for them.

Congratulations on your choice of scope and take your time with the eyepiece selection.

James

Some great advice there all, especially thanks for taking the time to provide links to products! It's nice to be reassured in your decision on purchase.

Can anyone confirm if they have purchased the 200dob recently and got the Barlow with it included?

Hi

I personally would spend any extra cash on a Telrad and a RACI finder.

A good star atlas like the "sky atlas 2000" will serve for a lifetime too.

After that invest in some warm clothes as winter is coming. It gets mighty cold using a telescope that time of year.:)

Regards Steve

Archived