Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Freehand 15x70s?

Funds are a massive limiting factor for me at the moment, but i am desperate to get out there with more than my naked eye. I found some meade 10x50s for £35, but could maybe stretch another £10-20 for a semi decent set of 15x70s, but then of course, i'd need a mount too.

I know most people say anything over 10x50 are gonna need some kind of mount, but i've been looking around at 15x70's out of curiosity, and looking at the stats most are around 1.3kg.

I dug out an old set of dumbbells and grabed the 1.25kg plate off of one, i've been holding that up by my face, with my hands perhaps a little further away from my face than they would be with binos, in an attempt to tire them out, but it seems i can hold it steady for quite a while. When i say steady, i'm really just remembering the old 10x50s i used as a kid (about 10 years ago) and remember roughly how steady i had to be etc.

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, could it be that i'm just strong enough to do this? or am i likely misjudging just how steady i need to be, since it's been a while.

I guess what i'm asking is - is it remotely possible to use them freehand? does anyone else do it?

Anything, 10x50 or 15x70, will show you more if it is mounted. That said, I can hold a 15x70 sufficiently steady to appreciate its superior light gathering and magnification (cf 10x50) for short periods, and I don't go to the gym. You might also want to experiment with different ways of holding it -- I have some suggestions here -- I find a combination of the rifle-sling and double-handed holds to be steadiest for a 15x70.

Thanks for the advice guys. I recently borrowed some 10x21s off a friend. I know, i know, but better than nothing right? I did at least spot m31 from my back garden with no dark adaptation though, i was well chuffed! :p

Even with those, i can't get as stable as i'd like, even when resting against things. They were stable enough to see stuff and have fun don't get me wrong, but for proper detail i'd need them perfectly still.

I'l definitely be hitting the car booty :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived