NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cocooned in dust.

ollypenrice

A couple of years I took a wide Cocoon in the Tak. It was a bit so-so which tempted me to get another three hours last night. We also had the TEC running on the Cocoon so the higher res data is incorporated into the widefield. It must have about 12 hors in there altogether by now.

It was nice having CS3 to do it on. Till now I've been in 8 bit mode with Ps7. Pixinsight did its usual stuff on colour and the background.

Olly

COCOON-WIDEFIELD-LRGB-X2.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AMAZING. In fact, this is the best cocoon nebula that I've ever seen, I really like the composition with the dark (dust?) path obscuring the stars.

It's actually quite zen to start at the top left and work your way across the image counting and contemplating the various stars. I just wish it were possible to view these stars on a 3D model as it's not obvious how far or near these points of light actually are.

All the best,

Mike

AMAZING. In fact, this is the best cocoon nebula that I've ever seen,

All the best,

Mike

You're very kind Mike, but try this one...

http://middlehillobservatory.co.uk/IMAGES/Full%20size%20pics/Cocoon%20neb-June-aug09-Ha-HaRGB.jpg

If I can get anywhere near this in the close up on which we're working in the TEC then I'll die happy! Don't hold your breath...

That is so beautiful! Love the star colours too.

Is there a trick to processing images with dust in them? Not something I've managed to do yet.

Mark

There are techniques, Mark, from what I gather. However, I don't know them! What I do is take a ludicrous amount of data. That's the key. (From a dark site...) I do use a Pixinsight routine for dark nebulae but sometimes it makes little difference, as in this case. Working on local contrasts is also important. Above all, hours of data and no clipping of the black point.

Olly

"If I can get anywhere near this in the close up on which we're working in the TEC then I'll die happy! Don't hold your breath..."

No, no, no, Ollie, we don't want you to die, happy, sad, or any other way, as long as you can continue to create such beautiful pictures as those you grace us with so often. ;)

Keep up the good work. . . stay happy, and HEALTHY ! :eek::p

Jim S

Thanks gents. Forgot to say, check out the curious line of stars running right -left a quarter of the way down. You almost wonder if that was created by some kind of event but I can't thnk what.

Olly

I was going to mention the dust path, and a similar comment about a connection between the two.

Beings on a planet of one of those suns, could be looking up and seeing a similar rift in their Milky Way too perhaps :p.

Ron.

This is a stonking image Olly, I love it. When you say you used PI for background and colour, was that DBE and ............ what else? I am always interested in how people maintain colour as I always find that bit so very tricky.

You're all too kind, as ever.

Sara, Yes, I kicked off with DBE with a very careful selection of markers well away from the dust lane and nebula. This sorted out a red green gradient in the background which comes from the OSC camera quite often.

I used the dark structures routine from PI's utilities as well.

I also did an all star colour calibration and repeated it well into the processing when things were drifting. Ditto a second dose of DBE when non-linear.

To de-magenta the blue stars and adust the red ones I used the colour select tool in Ps late on.

Meanwhile the close up version in the TEC is going like a bomb. Last night we got 6.25 hours of Ha while (accidentally!) asleep and didn't lose a one. It's the best single run I've ever had. Not so much as a satellite. No excuses if I muck up the processing!! We also collected some Pleiades and the comet.

Olly

Archived