Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally!

spaceboy

C100ED in 127 Skymax out. Waiting on clear skies to decide if I did the right thing but after the reluctant sale of my EVO120 I am glad to be on the refractor firm once again. Unfortunately with the bank balance taking a recent hit due to a mount upgrade the 127 Skymax was on the next item on the chopping block.

Only time will tell if I made the right choice of giving up the extra 27mm objective and longer focal length of the MAK. I Know the R&P focuser will need a little work on the C100ED but I managed to sort the pathetic excuse for a lens cap out. Using just three tabs of loop Velcro I stuck these on the flat sides of the cap so that it now fits snugly into the dew shield with out causing too much of an upset to the flat black painted interior. Other than this so far I'm happy with the buy and I can't wait to point it at the Moon and Jupiter.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spaceboy you dark horse, surprised you sold the evo, but good luck with the 100ed

Sadly the EVO found an interested buyer before the MAK so went towards funding the mount upgrade. While I doubt the C100ED will compete on DSO's I'm hoping the reduction in CA will compensate for it on planets.

Will be Interested to here how you get on Spaceboy, I've hankered after an ed100 for quite a while.;)

Do let us know how you find it vs the mak127/ evo120.

Dare i say, Clear skies? :glasses2:

You and me both Sirius. I have let several C100ED's slip through my fingers in the past due to the talk of poor focuser's and fittings. I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I personally feel I did a superb job of tweaking the R&P focuser on the EVO. I wasn't disappointed when the wife surprised me with a DS focuser as no end of tweaking can remove backlash but I think I will be able to get the C100ED performing to an acceptable level.

As said above I think there will be compromises between the EVO120 & C100 but regards the MAK I believe the unobstructed view of the C100 and wider fields of view is fingers crossed going to suit my observing better. In an ideal world I would have preferred them side by side before making the choice but "such is life".

That should be tasty for visual planetary at f9. I've been hankering after a long fl refractor for a while, you have made me jealous :rolleyes:

I'll tell you next clear skies if it's worth getting jealous Angus :(

I think the wife and I will be packed in like sardines as it is with the camping gear and 250PX so it's doubtful the C100/EQ5 will be traveling to PSP but it would be interesting to see how it compared to a 100RS. TBH I'd be glad to compare it to anything at the moment. I've only been out twice in 3 months due to all the clouds :p

im bringing 3 OTA`s with me (unless i buy any more in mean time:evil6:)

:p Will be cosy in your tent then Jules ;)

A nice scope nice one Spaceboy, I can't wait to hear if it is better than the 127 mak. I suppose the contrast will be at the very least.

The one advantage I know the EVO had over the MAK was it split tight doubles much more cleanly. I put this down to the MAKs central obstruction letting it down but it was more likely the scope just takes so much longer to cool and I wasn't using it at it's best. This was a reason why I was sure I wanted to go with a refractor again as even my larger reflectors struggle to do a neat job of splitting doubles.

cracking scope mate.

I'll be very interested to hear how you rate the ED100 vs the 120mm EVO.

I am hoping to compare my masked at 170mm 16" dob vs a good refractor on doubles and maybe Jupiter too at PSP. what I am hoping is that such a comparison will prevent me seeing a need for yet another scope!

I'm jealous. My reflectors are great but think I 'need' an ED refractor too. Trouble is that my girlfriend has the crazy idea that it's more important to finish off the bathroom than buy a 3rd telescope!

If you were to pick up a C100ED Bish we would have almost identical signatures all but the 10x50's :)

I'm jealous. My reflectors are great but think I 'need' an ED refractor too. Trouble is that my girlfriend has the crazy idea that it's more important to finish off the bathroom than buy a 3rd telescope!

If you were to pick up a C100ED Bwe would have identical signatures all but the 10x50's :)

Well despite several clear nights and sorting out the focuser http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/157756-my-refractor-r-p-focuser-tweaks.html I am still to give the C100ED it's first light. I think the problem is the clear skies are so few and far between I have been plugging the EP's straight into the 200P in the haste to actually get some DSO hunting in before the clouds or moon return.

Archived