Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

California nebula

shaunster

My first image in what seems like a very long time and also my first all nighter of new season, started at 8:30 last night, just rolled the roof back at 6 this morning :glasses2:

Went for M27 first, then the soul nebula but my main target of the night was the California nebula.

I think it looks OK, no doubt I will have another go sometime. I could not take flats this morning as I had dewed up but hopefully will get some today.

This is 23x10mins in Ha. Atik 383l+, Zenithstar 70 @ F/4.9 on HEQ5 using 1.25"filters.

Be interesting to see what you think of it? The second version has been sharpened a little (too much!).

california-nebula-HA-X2.jpg

Calif-sharp-X2.jpg

Very nice indeed. I love images of this nebula that make it look like a big soft strip of cotton wool floating along in space, and I get this off both the images.

The more sharpened version has just a little more noise around the edge of the nebula, but I like both!

The second shot gets my vote, the noise around the nebula is minimal... Another Atik 383L+ image without 2" filters - are you going to add any NB ?

Thanks all for the comments, I also like the second shot.

This was without flats also Nadeem... but given an aggressive DBE going over.

Adding O3 and S2 when I get good nights for them

Smashing image Shaunster. I prefer the sharper one. This really shows the benefit of spending plenty of time on one target instead of hopping about grabbing half an hour each. I like the local areas of high contrast you have pulled out within the nebula to emphasise the detail. Well done. Get the other wavelengths done and give it some colour :glasses2:

Smashing image Shaunster. I prefer the sharper one. This really shows the benefit of spending plenty of time on one target instead of hopping about grabbing half an hour each. I like the local areas of high contrast you have pulled out within the nebula to emphasise the detail. Well done. Get the other wavelengths done and give it some colour :glasses2:

:rolleyes:

Pixinsight helped me, I used the enhance dark structure script which worked well for this image.

O3 data coming on next clear night.

Archived