NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope / Mount anti-theft measures

jonathan

Apologies if this has been covered already, I have a suspicion that it has but I couldn't find the thread when I searched.

Just wondering what other people do - UV security marking? Name / unique ID stamped into the metal (is there a serial number on an NEQ6)? Padlock and security tether if left outside during new moon phase?

Are there any easy options for securing a mount similar to how one might secure a bike to a lamp post? I'm guessing it would be similar to trying to secure a home computer to the desk some how.

I'm not too worried about the OTA as I wouldn't leave that outside, but some form of unobtrusive security marking on that would probably be worth while.

Does a photograph and receipt usually suffice for the purposes of household insurance?

Thank you for your advice!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is you weaken any security measures if you state on a public forum what those measures are...

Most precautions have been covered, but good measures include UV marking - good locks - security lights, CCTV cameras, alarms, and (in my case) a 4 yr old German Shepherd :)

I would suggest buying a very expensive lawn mower or barbecue and leaving that near the telescope/mount.

It's extremely unlikely that any self-respecting tea-leaf would know a telescope from a plant-pot holder and would therefore steal the easily recognised garden implements, in preference. :)

One thing I've occasionally considered is a PIR triggered voice recording. Something along the lines of "You shouldn't be here" played just once when somebody unlocks my gate and walks into my garden. Hopefully that would be enough to spook any baddies and deter them from robbing me - and try next door instead :)

I bought a Sentribox XLOCK 515 van box - the type of metal tool box that you often see in the back of pick-up trucks. All my stuff fits in it, it is crow-bar resistant, can be bolted to the floor of my garden shed and also fits in the back of my 4x4 across the folded down rear seats. When in the car I can padlock a chain through the box handle and the rear door handle. It takes two to lift it when empty and when fully loaded two would struggle to shift it.

I haven't figured out 'in the field' security yet but reckon it would just be a case of tightly wrapping a plastic coated security cable around the mount and tripod to prevent them being separated then loop a second cable through the first and chain it to whatever is handy (?) - in my case probably the swing bar of the rear mounted spare tyre.

Hehe, I bet your neighbours would love you! :)

Heh, it's the man-eating-tiger and the running shoes story :)

Unless you're being specifically targeted, all a casual thief would look for is the property that appears easiest to target, or (for advanced thievery) the least likely to be caught in.

So far as my neighbours go, they recently bought an 8-foot high trellis, gatepost and a garden gate, which is dutifully locked with a honkin' big padlock to the post. I haven't the heart to point out that a baddie would ignore the gate and go striaght through the thin wood of the trellis, as if it was tissue paper.

So far as securing a scope is concerned, I'd also be worried about the amount of damage done to it before said baddies decided it was too much effort to carry it (or its remains) away. I have a sneaking suspicion that yer average burglar would only regard your prized telescope/mount as having scrap value, anyway :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that yer average burglar would only regard your prized telescope/mount as having scrap value, anyway :)

Hmm, so my bright orange Celestron might be stolen for it's implied copper content, not good.

Just wish the manufacturers added a loop so that even a basic security cable could be added without modification, there must be plenty of people who have very expensive kit sitting in a flimsy wooden observatory in their back garden, a single padlock (however heavy it is) isn't going to deter a determined thief.

It might be as well to apply some reverse psychology; if any tea leafs have to make an effort to get near your mount in the first place, simply leave a waterproof sign hanging from it saying something like 'now you are on film, and I am security marked' etc etc. If they are determined to get that close your last chance is to change their mindset....

Good luck

I have always found that, no matter what precautions you take, if a thief wants it they will get it. I take the approach that nothing is foolproof but put lots of small measures in place on my garage (lots of very expensive fishing kit in there) that are not hard to beat but do take time. The longer it takes a thief to steal something the less likely they are to take it as the chance of being caught in the act goes up. I also have a webcam linked to the house that takes a photo and uploads it to a private bit of the inter web I have so when they do eventually turn me over I will make sure the little beggars can be identified and get sent down for it.

i laughed the other day a mates dad just bought a warehouse with a upstairs, put the alarm hidden so no one could find the manual overide... and just to be on the safe side incased it in a farady cage...and run 3 phase through it (the alarm is usually a keyfob)

i no what u mean (example like having a baseball bat or a hammer on nails behind the door) if their there for wepons its against the law... but if they were" at hand" and u used it in self defence it does seem to hold up in court

the way he did the alarm though, just looks like bad wireing....

The problem is you weaken any security measures if you state on a public forum what those measures are...

Most precautions have been covered, but good measures include UV marking - good locks - security lights, CCTV cameras, alarms, and (in my case) a 4 yr old German Shepherd :)

Security Lights...are you sure you are an astronomer?

Archived