Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brand new starparty in Kent!

madjohn

This is the first time that this event has ever been held:). It's being orgainised by Astronomy 4 everyone and Disciples of the Dark Arts at Norwood Farm Caravan & Camping Park, Norwood Farm, Newchurch, Romney Marsh, Kent, TN29 0DU.

Its the same weekend as Kelling next year in April, we had a lot of people who didn't want the long travel to Norfolk from the South so we decided to give people the choice.

There are 25 powered pitchs and 25 non powered, this is a great dark site with a 360 degree unobstructed view.:(

you can make on line bookings and read the conditions and pricing HERE:-

Home - Dymchurch Star Party

Hope to see you there!

John

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info Kai, your right the south is dark, there is some streetglow to the north and some to the far east but mostly very dark.

We thought 50 pitchs in total is a nice number to start with especially as its the same weekend as Kelling.

We will be having an outside caterer attending who worked at the Herstmonseax event and who was offering the 'astronomers feast', breakfast lunch and dinner for £12! but good fish and chips (especially near the coast) is always welcome:)

Nice one John.

Good luck :( It'll certainly be easier to get to than Kelling. IMO perfect skies aren't everything. That last hour in the car to Kelling isn't great - shame that I've moved or I would have come to this!

Take lots of pictures for us :)

Ant

I know you probably know this but The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is a good distraction for a couple of hours and end up just by the Pilot Inn just incase there are bored little (and big) kids :(

RHDR - The Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway

The only problems with skyglow were as you said to the NE (Ashford) , E (Dover and Folkestone) oh and Dungeness Power Station , buts thats more to with you glowing :)

If i still lived in Kent then i would pop down to say hi.

@Ant i bet you could get here faster than Kelling even living where you do now

Great! The more Starparty places that are available the better, of course there will be clashes, but who cares!

If anyone else is thinking on planning one, can we see if we can have one that does NOT require tents.... The Isle of Wight being the only one currently has roofs!

Hope you get good weather, we all await the reports!

PEterW

Thanks Kai for the imput, I'm not sure if the railway runs that early in the year but its certainly a sight to behold, plus there is a lovely sandy beach at St Marys Bay that runs for miles, not that you'll be sunbathing then!!:)

This is very much a first for us but we have been to lots of starparties over the years and know what astronomers expect, the dark skies being the most important.

We also go to the Isle of Wight starparty (the month before ours) and thoroughly enjoy it (and the chalets!):(

Hi Carole

That's one of the main reasons we decided to do this Starparty the same time as Kelling, to give people the choice around new Moon to travel locally or long distance, plus Kelling isn't that dark anymore, certainly not to warrant a 5 hour journey north.:)

Hope to see you there:)

John

Can I ask what the £10 per person "Star Party Fee" is for please?

We have hired the entire site for the two main days of Friday and Saturday so we don't have the general public on site with white lights and impartial attitudes to astronomers (like at Kelling):glasses2:

We will be having several talks and am looking to cover our costs including public liabilities insurance, free tea and coffee, red light materials etc.

I'll look into why members aren't getting a confirmation email. thanks for the feedback

John

Can I ask what the £10 per person "Star Party Fee" is for please?

We have hired the entire site for the two main days of Friday and Saturday so we don't have the general public on site with white lights and impartial attitudes to astronomers (like at Kelling):glasses2: We will be having several talks and am looking to cover our costs including free tea and coffee, red light materials etc.

I guess that's OK - although you should more than cover your costs with that £10-per-person surcharge. I'm assuming that children under 4 don't pay Star Party Fees? For clarity on the booking form maybe you could also state if the Star Party Fee is payable for 4-14 year olds (i.e. the campsite/booking-form definition of "child"), or whether there is a reduced rate etc.?

Anyways, count me in! :rolleyes: Now booked (me, my wife, toddler Gina and baby Ariane) for all four days - although, like the other folks here, no confirmation email as yet.

Phew that's a releif! seems like people are getting their confirmations at last! ;)

As I mentioned before this is our first effort at oorganising the event so we are running to catch up with any teething problems.:glasses2:

We have had some great interest in this event, and it looks like for a first starparty its going to be well attended.

Thanks everyone for your support.:rolleyes:

Cheers John

I filled in the booking form over an hour ago and no email yet.

Am I right in thinking the email will give me the details of how I pay (I have read the Terms & Conditions - I just expected that I'd book and pay in one step)?

Mike

Archived