SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

Maybe be some of those Ratchet straps. and a couple four hook loops.

these could be hooked onto a main structure and then to roof trusses.

a couple of ratchet clicks and the whole roof is pulled down tight.

they very handy things to have around

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe be some of those Ratchet straps. and a couple four hook loops.

these could be hooked onto a main structure and then to roof trusses.

a couple of ratchet clicks and the whole roof is pulled down tight.

they very handy things to have around

They could certainly be very useful things to have around, I quite agree. Rather better than the usual lorry rope! :eek: Must get some. I'm always tying things down with rope ;)

Well done Gina:) You've really cracked on with the repairs, your doing great:)
Thanks :eek: It's been a very frustrating week - been dying to get that roof back on ;)

Obsy webcam is live again. I shall be going out shortly to prepare the roof side window for putting in new acrylic sheet, repairing and replacing draught strip and working on the roof fastenings. I shall also be letting the goats out so they should be around as well.

Window pane fixings removed, draught strips fixed and a few other little jobs done plus investigating secure roof fastenings. I've worked out that I can use 4 pegs/pins/spikes to hold it down. The two at the warm room end can be up at roof level. Pegs in the roof end beam and holes in brackets on top of the dividing wall framework (or possibly the other way round).

Took window pane fixing strips off roof side window, straightened brush strips and refitted, and various minor jobs. I've also done the anti-liftoff peg and hole for the SE corner. I actually reversed pin and hole as that worked out better.

Peg-SW-01.jpg

Peg-SW-02.jpg

Peg-SW-03.jpg

Peg-SW-04.jpg

That should do the trick - although I would suggest you make some metal plates for the pin to pass through. Your pin hole is very near to the end of a piece of timber and may simply pull through the timber when under load. You can buy galvanised plates with holes in them from agri-suppliers - although they won't be called bolt plates.

Still working on the windows. Had other jobs to do in between - feed the goats and milk one make tea, supper etc. It all takes time out of my obsy job ;) I think I might finish off the window tonight unless I run out of daylight. Don't know yet whether any stars will be visible tonight - there's a fair bit of cloud about with some gaps.

Well, the window panes are in and held in place by their framing pieces. Still have the barge boards to put back but that will have for another day! Too dark now. Having a break now while waiting for full darkness to see if any imaging might be possible tonight. Clouds come and go.

Yes lets hope they go... For a good long week or more:)
Oh yes indeed!!! No joy last night it was totally overcast by 10pm followed later by rain. And it's wet and windy today! There seems a faint possibility of better weather next weekend but then there seemed to be a possibility of high pressure by the end of last week and it didn't come! ;) Meanwhile, the weather is total pants! :eek:

The rain has decreased to a drizzle and there's signs of brightening up. The continuous rain is supposed to change to showers later so may get some dry spells. If so I can replace the barge boards and gutter ends.

I've been out to the obsy and checked for water ingress and am happy to report that the inside is dry as a bone - no sign of any damp ;) So I shall be out there today clearing up the tools and putting the scopes back on the mount, and setting up the DSLR with it's water cooling. Have to say it's a great relief to have a dry scope room again! :eek:

Barge boards are up but I have a couple of screws to screw right in - rain stopped play! Talking of which, it's tipping down tonight - really heavy stuff, propelled by a strong southerly wind! :eek: More weather testing! ;)

Have scopes on mount and part of the water cooling but no camera as yet.

Grim is right! We had a lot of heavy rain overnight. Dry now though and occasional sunshine but yet more rain forecast for this evening!! (of course, what else?!).

Oh, the ducks are ecstatic!! ;) Obsy is totally waterproof :mad: No sign of damp after all the overnight rain and wind. Believe it or not, it sunny now. Of course, there's more rain forecast for this afternoon and evening :) With the sunshine in the daytime and rain/clouds at night maybe I should get a PST :eek:

Barge boards fixed. Also, been looking into securing the roof a bit better. Have the front (west side) anti-lift-off devices worked out. For the "hole" I have 2 thoughts - as shown below and U-bolts.

Peg-W-01.jpg

Peg-W-02.jpg

Archived