Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see how the Dennis the Menace ruler fits in though :mad:

James

Goodness knows how old that ruler is ;) Gives the scale to the striker - that's why it's there :) But I think you knew that :eek:

It's good to see you've got it back under control Gina and putting in all the work getting it in ship shape for the stars (and weather!).. Got to say, I wouldn't expect anything else.

Well done.;):eek:

It's good to see you've got it back under control Gina and putting in all the work getting it in ship shape for the stars (and weather!).. Got to say, I wouldn't expect anything else.

Well done.;):eek:

Thank you Glen :mad:

I was in it earlier this evening before dark, testing my new cooling system on my DSLR with the scope pointing out through the fold down end wall flap imaging some distant trees to see if dewing occurred. It felt good to be sitting in the warm room taking a series of images with APT again :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Gina,

I've decided to spend some money and gone for a new weather station (the solar version of the W86-81) Just wondered if you have used this one or still using the original? I had to do something after the bearing went in the anemometer!!!

Slightly off topic I know!

Hi Gina,

I've decided to spend some money and gone for a new weather station (the solar version of the W86-81) Just wondered if you have used this one or still using the original? I had to do something after the bearing went in the anemometer!!!

Slightly off topic I know!

I'm still using the one I got from Maplin several years ago plus my home made 1-wire one, though that is out of commision ATM.

Hey Gina.

Just needed to check the roof is surviving the current onslought from the weather gods?

Yes, thank you :) It's well secured now.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeees Gina o feel for you, you have had a time of it.

firstly i am really glad you are OK and not to much Damage had been done and there is no surprise you brushed yourself and the obsy down and got on with the repairs and glad it nearly back to its best

one benifit it not really dark at the moment not much consolation i know but it is a little. get it right for the darker nights.

Jeees Gina o feel for you, you have had a time of it.

firstly i am really glad you are OK and not to much Damage had been done and there is no surprise you brushed yourself and the obsy down and got on with the repairs and glad it nearly back to its best

one benifit it not really dark at the moment not much consolation i know but it is a little. get it right for the darker nights.

Thank you for your concern :) It's all fixed now and back in full working order - plus it's got things to hold the roof on and also to stop it being blown along it's track :) In fact I was out there imaging last night with the first mainly clear night in two months :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now adding permanent fastenings for my roof. I'll post details and photos later when I've done it.

I'm also in the process of doing numerous minor changes and improvements. Since I don't do observing - only imaging - I've found I never use the red lights. I've also found I want to turn the scope room lights on and off from my seat in the warm room while I watch the scope slew through the window in the sliding door. So I've rearranged the lighting wiring and removed the red bulkhead lights. I now have the double dimmer switch by the sliding door in the warm room controlling white lights in the warm room and scope room. ie. the dimmer switch that controlled the red warm room light now controls the white scope room light. I'm also going to add one or more extra lights in the scope room as the present lighting is inadequate. The warm room has two independent white lights - one each end and that is fine.

I'm happy to report that inspite of record breaking torrential rain and strong winds my observatory is still as dry as a bone - not a drop got in :)

I take it you are not affected by the local flooding in the Axe Valley? (I'm originally from Seaton, so have been following the flood warnings with interest over the past few days).

Thanks everyone :)

We're not in the Axe Valley Enrico - we're up in the hills on the side of the Otter Valley, well about river flooding level :)

Mine's also bone dry, I think the roof has healed itself up through lack of use. :sad:

I know what you mean :D I've had mine open a bit today though as the weather was fine and I had some little lighting mods to do and wanted more light to work by.
Good to hear you're dry Gina. :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos of the SW "holding down system" to stop the wind lifting the roof off again. This is with the dividing wall plywood panel, sliding door gear and light removed for access for the eye bolt. The roof end beam has a farm gate latch striker through a hole with a washer and nut to secure it. The gutter bracket on the nearest end of the mini gutter has been removed to show the nut and washer. (This mini gutter takes the water off the roll off roof where it overlaps outside the warm room roof and feeds it onto the warm room roof for collection in the main guttering.)

post-13131-0-49171900-1343147388_thumb.jpost-13131-0-33800700-1343147395_thumb.jpost-13131-0-58576000-1343148557_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Archived