NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Here's why I sold my BGOs

Moonshane

I have always lusted after the Giro type mounts rather than equatorial mounts as I feel they are the ultimate for visual observing.

Having no intentions of even getting into imaging I sold my EQ mount and at the same time my f8.3 120mm refractor as my 150mm f11 dob took its place.

The recent purchase of a short frac for wide field, low power observing meant I needed to sort out a mount. I thought about making an alt az mount in plywood but felt this would never be as good as a Giro.

My astro pot is empty so I had to sell something and my BGOs felt like the most readily replaceable eyepieces so I sold them to fund the purchase of a deluxe model Giro II. This apparently has more capacity weight wise (about 22KG I think) than a standard model and even though my scope weighs 4.5KG fully loaded I thought I should future proof this purchase.

It's an excellent piece of kit and works extremely well as long as you roughly balance the scope in altitude.

Swapping from a 26mm Nagler to a 10mm Radian causes no issues even with the lock/tension bolt fully backed off; this surprised and pleased me.

The movement is very dobsonian-like which suits me as a fully paid up member of the dob appreciation society and it's not that heavy either - maybe 6-8 pounds.

It came with an additional counterweight bar but at this weight of OTA nothing is needed on the far side, also reducing weight.

I can easily pick up the whole set-up and carry it out, but prefer not to have an OTA on a tripod when carrying through the house.

Here it is with the home made tripod I had in the loft. I'll need to shorten the legs a little as this is also my wife's scope - she likes wide field scanning - and I have a wooden tripod tray which I may eventually fit. I had to cut off the GP bolt (not a problem to me) so if you are buying one of these be aware it will not necessarily fit your mount so check.

I was going to fit a Telrad but the base positioning is proving awkward so I may go with the original plan of either a Rigel Quikfinder or a small RDF of some kind.

Looking forward to using it in this mode. Cannot see me ever selling this mount.

post-17776-133877661846_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877661852_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877661858_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877661864_thumb.jpg

post-17776-13387766187_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello mr. shane

It looks very nice. I get the impression from reading on the internet that wooden tripods are quite popular with these mounts. Why is that? Whats the advantage of wood?

Is yours a Berlebach?

When you have a nagler to feed it are the BGOs then missed?

ha ha

I sure am Mick but the problems are:

1) both mine are 1600mm focal length

2) max field with 26mm Nagler 1.3 degrees

3) my wife prefers wide field scanning

4) I want to keep my dob to myself when observing!

5) I cannot use bins and wanted a travel scope

6) maybe a solar scope too

7) I wanted a grab and go to work when the skies are not playing.

my dobs don't fit the above criteria and the frac definitely does. :(

Hello mr. shane

It looks very nice. I get the impression from reading on the internet that wooden tripods are quite popular with these mounts. Why is that? Whats the advantage of wood?

Is yours a Berlebach?

When you have a nagler to feed it are the BGOs then missed?

Thanks Bombassa

wooden tripods don't transmit vibrations well so provide good damping and a steady view. I made this myself very cheaply.

it's also a lot less cold when the ice starts.

I do miss the BGOs as the Nagler is a wide field finder and the BGOs superb higher power eyepieces.

I'll be buying some again when funds allow (at least a 12.5mm and a 9mm).

cheers Nick

good suggestion.

I saw one recently on AB&S, are they worth it? sounds like they might be.

I feel they are worth it. The only downside is they don't allow you to thread 2" filters. This is no problem for scopes using diagonals but limits there use to 1.25" filters in dobs. Once fitted you meet the happy me between the balance of equalizer and lightest EP against your heaviest 2" ep and hey presto no longer a need for sliding your OTA back and forth during your observing session.

Great setup Shane ;)

Everyone should have something like this - it's ideal for getting an "astro fix" when the conditions are variable, as is so often the case is seems :(

Those Giro's are lovely bits of kit :)

cheers John

I agree and that's just why I bought it. not the cheapest option but I can now change to a heavier OTA if I ever fancy a larger refractor etc.

I feel they are worth it. The only downside is they don't allow you to thread 2" filters. This is no problem for scopes using diagonals but limits there use to 1.25" filters in dobs. Once fitted you meet the happy me between the balance of equalizer and lightest EP against your heaviest 2" ep and hey presto no longer a need for sliding your OTA back and forth during your observing session.

cheers Nick.

I may possibly get one although it's annoying they don't add a thread to the end.

....I may possibly get one although it's annoying they don't add a thread to the end.

This was a deliberate decision apparently and it's the same with the Tele Vue "Hi Hat" 1.25" - 2" adapters too. TV were worried that the depth of the adapter was not sufficient to ensure that filters are not damaged by long eyepiece barrels.

They could have designed a deeper adapter though, I would have thought :(

cheers Nick.

I may possibly get one although it's annoying they don't add a thread to the end.

To be fair the equalizer is advertised on the TV site for use in refractors on AZ mounts. Almost everyone who has a refractor will use a diagonal and this being the case the 2" filter can be threaded into the nose of the diagonal so TV could get away with out threading the adapter. Plus as John said and as I found out for myself, some EP's have long barrels that can mark filters.:(

Hey Shane I see you have picked up a Giro Alt/Az mount :)

I have had the Giro III for a couple of months now and when paired with my Equinox 80 ED refrator forms the basis of my grab and go setup.

I think these mounts would be great with a Rich field refractor on one side and a complimenting longer focal length on the other side.

I really like the saddle they use on this mount. I especially like that it is a non marring design. I hate dovetail bars with gouges in them from saddle screws.

I intend upon picking up an ADM saddle for it at some point as I find the balance point is slightly too close to the eyepiece. The new saddle which are typically longer means I should be able to clamp it down at the balance point. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to an incredibly kind offer from another SGL member, my scope now sports some 90mm WO CNC tube rings. They really transform the look of this scope and the build quality is superb.

Here's the scope with the Baader Skysurfer 3 fitted (very good RDF BTW) via one of the unused primary mirror clips (it was too short) from my 16" dob build.

I never throw anything away that might be useful someday. Amazingly the holes were in exactly the right place for the finder shoe bolts!

post-17776-133877674597_thumb.jpg

Of course the main advantage with the the wooden tripods is that they are easier to cut!:) Surely it would be simpler to make a box for Mrs Moonshane to stand on leaving the main tripod easier for you to look through Shane? Having said that, I wouldn't fancy your chances negotiating that one unless the tripod's eyepiece tray comes with a first aid kit! :):D:D

Nice setup by the way!

James

cheers James

In truth I made this tripod for a 120mm f8.3 frac so it's a little tall anyway for some seated angles. It's pretty good to use although I'd forgotten how awkward it is sometimes working round the legs (especially with an observing seat.

as a simple future project I may make a short version of this tripod and try this. the height from zenith to horizon varies only by 13" so maybe a normal chair and a shorter tripod would be better. plus I cannot afford the bandages!

Really nice set-up. I am thinking of getting a mini-giro for my APM 80mm to mount on my refurbished hardwood EQ1 tripod. This would get be a set-up very similar to this. I could even reinstall the aluminium legs to take the tripod on plane journeys (optics in hand luggage, mount in the hold). At only 1kg (or a shade less according to some sites) the mini giro should be strong enough, and really lightweight.

Hi Michael

It's a really convenient set up and after a scare with it ((I bought used) where the alt axis locked up completely - resolved by taking it apart and re-greasing with white Lithium - a truly easy job) I am completely happy. You need to get the balance right but that's the case with any mount I suppose.

I was considering a mini giro but had concerns about the short length of the arm and felt even a short frac would be constantly hitting the legs of the tripod.

In the end I am happy I went for the Giro 2 especially as it will hold much bigger scopes than I use. That said, although it will be OK for camping an such in the UK, I will struggle to get this set up on a plane so may also make a small dob from a 5-6" f5 newt. If I create a box based truss dob, that will be very compact.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived