NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I know its collimation time?

the signs are that you begin to consider an observing session and put your scope outside. only after collimation (of at least the primary) will you get the best visual results from your scope.

I collimate both my newtonians before each use as it takes as long to check (which you should certainly do each time) as to adjust.

the main thing to avoid mishaps is collimate with the tube almost horizontal. then if you do have an accident (drop a tool or nut) then it will not cause any / as much damage.

it's a routine and simple operation once you get your head around it so don't worry. I can collimate both my newts in about a couple of minutes max.

They should look like points in the center of the field of view at least. Towards the edges the stars will show some distortion - probably caused by the 28mm 2" eyepiece.

If stars don't look like points even in the center of the field of view, what do they look like ?.

Research, research, research, then research some more before you even consider going anywhere near your scope with tools . Get it wrong and you'll induce panic and stress and endless worry and postings on threads asking for advice etc, posting pics and the like.

Test against a star first off when skies are reasonably good, choose a mag 2 star and try and get as near focus as possible and check what you see on both sides of focus point with reference images on the net. Make sure the star is centred in your FOV too.

Then decide whether you need to collimate. Lets be honest guys it's pretty daunting the first time you do it

Here is where I went to learn how to collimate mine.

This guy is good too, tho much more detailed

I was really nervous the first time I did mine. The grub screws were so tight I started to bend the supplied allen key. Collimated it in my kitchen and check it every time I use it. 5 trips out and still spot on.

Archived