Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

9th Kielder Forest Star Camp

Dixie

Finally got the main day of the 9th Kielder Forest Star Camp sorted! It will be on Saturday 29 October at Kielder Castle, Northumberland. It is free to everyone - whether or not you are staying on the Kielder Campsite. The event itself is almost fully booked - but we do have ten extra non-hook pitches we can offer this year. Drop me a line sharpish.

MAIN DAY

11am to 4.30 pm.

Vendors

Ian King Imaging, Widescreen Centre, Astronomica and Astrodevelopments.

Talks

1pm Astro-historian Martin Lunn on his work with fellow researcher Lila Rakoczy to re-date a massive stellar explosion (Supernova remnant Cass A). It's a story that has NASA interested!

1.40pm Dave Williams is mastering the art of narrowband imaging. Learn how to take stunning deep sky images from the city.

3pm GP and amateur astronomer John Lockett tells you how to make your eyes work harder for better views of the heavens.

3.30pm Graham Darke de-bunks moon hoax theories by the appliance of science!

You can check out Kielder's night sky by logging onto need-less light pollution

Clear skies,

Rich

starcamp@richarddarn.demon.co.uk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info Richard.

I notice you mention non hook ups. Have any extra hook ups become available or is a reserve list in operation ?

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. Old friends and a few new ones I hope.

Dave.

This'll be the first star party for me and I'll have had my dob for a total of two days - by the time I go home half my entire time with it will have been spent at Kielder!

We're moving to Northumberland the month after as well (if all goes to plan, touch wood) so if we find a good place to live I should have nice dark skies from my back garden - if not quite on the level of Kielder :-)

Tom

This'll be the first star party for me and I'll have had my dob for a total of two days - by the time I go home half my entire time with it will have been spent at Kielder!

We're moving to Northumberland the month after as well (if all goes to plan, touch wood) so if we find a good place to live I should have nice dark skies from my back garden - if not quite on the level of Kielder :-)

Tom

sounds like some "in between Kielder" starparties coming up:p

Yes we have a few more hook ups to play with this year, but it's always best to a few spare just in case any go down (although the electrics were upgraded last year). We may release a few more electrics nearer the event. I was up at Kielder the other week and you forget what a really dark sky looks like, pretty dazzling - you couldn't see the cloud banks come in 'cos there is no orange light for them to reflect. Look forward to seeing the Dob, Tom. We have around 150 people booked in, plus more staying round and abouts. May have a few astro-VIPS calling in too.

Rich

Yes we have a few more hook ups to play with this year, but it's always best to a few spare just in case any go down (although the electrics were upgraded last year). We may release a few more electrics nearer the event. I was up at Kielder the other week and you forget what a really dark sky looks like, pretty dazzling - you couldn't see the cloud banks come in 'cos there is no orange light for them to reflect. Look forward to seeing the Dob, Tom. We have around 150 people booked in, plus more staying round and abouts. May have a few astro-VIPS calling in too.

Rich

OOH tel us more about those VIP's

Hi Tom,

The one down side to bringing the Dob to Kielder is that once used under proper dark skies it is annoying to take it back to polluted skies. I know ! You'll realise when a cloud passes over, the stars go out :)

Looking forward to meeting you and trying it out.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

This event is now fully booked, thanks for your support as always.

The main day is on 29 October at Kielder Castle (11am - 4.30pm) with talks and vendors including Widescreen, Ian King, Astronomica, Aurora Books and Astrodevelopments.

Rother Valley will also be showing a new range of scopes on the campsite.

People are welcome to join us on the main day or on the observing field at any time (red light rules apply).

We make no charges, this is free to everyone.

Richard

Archived