Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 9mm 120°

AndyH

Wow, this is starting to get silly. Wonder if TeleVue will turn it up to 125 :)

edit: Google tells me the Köhler design offers 120 degrees and has been used for military applications since the 1960s. Expensive, but military generally not concerned about such things. Seem to be lots of elements so I'd speculate that coatings are important here for transmission/scatter?

Crazy spec and a crazy price. I guess that will be £1K by the time it makes it across to us :(

Does this start to push at the traditional definitions of regular, wide and ultra-wide fields of view ?. Is a Hyperion or Panoptic just a regular FoV eyepiece, with Nagler / UWAN's wide angle and ultra-wides starting at 100 degrees now then :)

The whole moon at 200x.........:)

I'm surprised TeleVue didn't get there first...

I believe Al Nagler has a saying "show no field unless it's sharp". Maybe TV doubt whether the design would really be up to their requirements at F/4 ?

I believe Al Nagler has a saying "show no field unless it's sharp". Maybe TV doubt whether the design would really be up to their requirements at F/4 ?

Excellent point, John. I was a little skeptical when I read that on the website...

120' and only 13mm eye relief. People complain about the 16T5 and that's a quarter of the price :)

Eye relief figures take into account the FOV, so it won't be any tighter than an ortho with 13mm eye relief. Of course, from a design point of view, offering long eye relief becomes more tricky the larger the FOV.

Andrew

• 11 months later...

the pentax looks like a ortho compared to the e.s.

People say Pentax XW is like an ortho. Putting one next to the ES120, that statement is now for both size and AFOV.

XW's AFOV is 58% of the ES120, in the same way a 40deg ortho's AFOV is 57% that of the XW.

Archived