Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar disk mosaic 010911

Photosbykev

PST and DMK41 CCD camera mounted on an EQ3 Synscan Pro guided with DSSR software.

12 images processed through Registax6 and blended in Autopano Giga2.

20110901101651_comp.jpg

and a composite exposure on the NE limb

20110901100856.jpg

Two days running I've stopped imaging less than 20 minutes before a new prominence has erupted from the surface. One day I'll capture one lol

Kev,

Your results with the PST are fantastic!

They definately raise the bar for all PST imagers

Well done!!

Thank you Merlin, I'm still finding ways to improve the processing every day :) I still have some issues with Newton rings but I've remounted the PST on the EQ3 so that the eye piece socket is more vertical which has made a difference.

Excellent Kev! Your solar imaging is developing at a rapid rate. 2 ways to remove Newtons rings 1) Let the solar image drift a bit across the fov whilst cpaturing 2) Use a flat frame.

Keep em' coming!

Mark :)

Excellent Kev! Your solar imaging is developing at a rapid rate. 2 ways to remove Newtons rings 1) Let the solar image drift a bit across the fov whilst cpaturing 2) Use a flat frame.

Keep em' coming!

Mark :)

I'm still in the excited to capture anything phase so I need to slow down a bit and get into a routine for the solar work that will include flats and darks.

Great stuff! The PST never fails to surprise...

Thank you Smerral,

this is the colourised version of the monochrome version. I've managed to remove the need for the ugly overexposed band on the first colour version in the 1st post. I quite like this result :)

For Autopano Giga2 users. Turn OFF Auto colour correction and render with Bicubic and smartblend to minimise the gradients :( The image in the 1st post clearly shows the gradients and was done before I figured this tweak out.

photosbykev-albums-astro-work-picture13168-mos-single-20110901101651-12-web.jpg

Kev, this is amazing and you've inspired me!

How does the DMK compare to using a DSLR and the Hyperion Zoom? I didn't see you switch over from one to the other and if you posted about this in another thread, please would you be so kind as to let me know where? (I can't find it :)).

Thanks and congratulations on the mention in the weekly image roundup!

Kev, this is amazing and you've inspired me!

How does the DMK compare to using a DSLR and the Hyperion Zoom? I didn't see you switch over from one to the other and if you posted about this in another thread, please would you be so kind as to let me know where? (I can't find it :)).

Thanks and congratulations on the mention in the weekly image roundup!

Hi Mike,

I still have the hyperion zoom for use with a DSLR but the DMK41 mono CCD with a 2.5x Powermate pulls out so much more detail that I've no intention of going back to the DSLR.

Thanks for the tip about autopano giga Kev. BTW how do you go about adding the prominences? It should be relatively simple but I'm not fully happy with my method - I always have a problem trying to blend in the lighter sky background of the proms..

Thanks for the tip about autopano giga Kev. BTW how do you go about adding the prominences? It should be relatively simple but I'm not fully happy with my method - I always have a problem trying to blend in the lighter sky background of the proms..

From what I've learnt from the experienced solists on here there seems to be two ways.

Shoot the mosaic with a higher gamma value, say 130-140, this allows you to capture the surface and proms in one shot but I think this is a bit of a compromise imo.

I tend to favour shooting the disk mosaic and then shoot the proms as a separate set. Use Autopano to make the disk mosaic and in Photoshop blend in the separate prom images. This allows you to play with levels/curves and colour balance on both areas.

Hi Mike,

I still have the hyperion zoom for use with a DSLR but the DMK41 mono CCD with a 2.5x Powermate pulls out so much more detail that I've no intention of going back to the DSLR.

Really? That's interesting - and thanks to markt for seconding Kevin's opinion.

I'm now wondering if I too can get better results using my Lifecam Cinema (1280x720) and barlow than then DSLR (550D) in eyepiece projection.

Really? That's interesting - and thanks to markt for seconding Kevin's opinion.

I'm now wondering if I too can get better results using my Lifecam Cinema (1280x720) and barlow than then DSLR (550D) in eyepiece projection.

I think the significant benefit is by using a dedicated mono CCD so that all the available pixels are used for imaging rather than having to handle/throw away the unused colour channels (green and blue) of the DSLR which produce a lot of noise.

Imaging in b&w ccd has much greater resolution than imaging in colour - be this with a DSLR or webcam based device. Colour imaging uses a Bayer matrix of a red, 2 green and a blue; imaging in Ha only uses the one red out of the four - the others are a waste of sensor in this application Bayer filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I tend to favour shooting the disk mosaic and then shoot the proms as a separate set. Use Autopano to make the disk mosaic and in Photoshop blend in the separate prom images. This allows you to play with levels/curves and colour balance on both areas.

Yes, this is what I have been doing - I just need a bit more practise when it comes to blending in the proms I guess..

Archived