NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting astronomy into my backpack

Schorhr

Hello there :-)

I am 29 and I've been reading a lot here, and now I finally participate. I did visit and use the German astronomy forums already, but I think the stargazers lounge is a great addition.

I always had a deep interest in SciFi, science and technology, but somehow (probably reading about Hubble as a kid) I believed that due to the atmosphere only little is visible from earth.

Boy, was I wrong. The view of Saturn from an observatory blew me away.

I then got a little 3" telescope off the virtual flea-market for ~€10/$15 several months ago. VERY shaky, but amazing what even this piece of junk will show! It also showed me without wasting a lot of money if this would be something I want to spend money on, and what things to watch out for (mount, eyepieces...).

While planets where my first area of interest, I soon got fascinated by deepsky objects after buying a few books: I soon realized that I reached the limit of this device, longing for a larger mirror.

Due to transportation issues and a lot of reading and comparing (Litescope, Flextubes, ATM...) I finally decided on a Sumerian (the new 10" travel model) which still fits in a backpack... Can't wait for it to arrive!

12" or so would have been great, too, but I was unable to find something lighter then 10kg/22lbs AND cheaper then €1500/$2200. I think the 10" is a great compromise, as 10" will show a lot of things and it leaves some spare cash for equipment.

Also, Michael from Sumerian was very patient with answering my questions.

A dealer in Italy I contacted before and another in the US I contacted for mechanical parts where VERY rude and/or did not bother to reply, so it was a pleasant experience for a change.

On another note, I probably annoyed my fiancée with all the telescope talk lately, but made it up to her by buying her a 102/1300 Maksutov (€150/$200) from my "telescope budget": The MAK doubles as a inexpensive telephoto lens as she is into photography, and got her into the whole telescope-thing as well.

It sits on a old but relatively stable camera tripod, with the kit lenses and two new ones that are slightly better. It's a start, we both even got a glimpse of Jupiter through the cloudy skies, and also of the moon. It is definitely a big step up from that kid's telescope! Can't wait to use it under better conditions.

With "taking turns", her glasses, and the camera mount, my desire to get an EQ-platform grew stronger, which I could use on the 10" as well. As far as I know there are three vendors for kits/RtR platforms that are priced under or around €300/$400.

Lx-net.pl looks very nice and the manufacturer friendly, read bad things about Supernorthstar and waiting three weeks for answers is a bad sign as well, and TL Systems just sells kits which I think is too much worktime for me at the moment.

I think I will go with the LX, but initially I wanted one from SN, as he has a 4.5kg/10lbs version available, which would still be portable along the 10" sumerian on my bike or on short walks to the field.

As for eyepieces, I will probably go with the cheap Plössls/Erfle/etc. for now, and one or two entry level wide-angle eye-pieces, probably 30mm/80° (even though they won't be sharp to the edges on f/5) and some 60-70° around 6mm...

...until I can save up for some better ones.

I know this is a matter of perspective, but I'd rather get a nice "framework" (travel telescope, maksutov, eq-platform) instead of spending it all on some premium eyepieces right away.

Well, that's enough about me, probably boring and barely read anyway. But I thought it would be nice to write this little introduction, and perhaps someone has one or two suggestions to throw in :-)

Ciao!

-Marcus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marcus and welcome to SGL :rolleyes:

Those Sumerian dobs are very nice indeed - wouldn't mind one myself cos I'm mostly portable for observing due to LP. It sounds like you've approached the hobby in a very constructive way without spending too much before deciding if it's for you and your partner.

Couple of cheap scopes to test the water first, lots of research to see what you want to do, then get the equipment to suit those needs with informed choices. Excellent work and I hope you enjoy your time with us here at SGL :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

thats going to be a lot of kit to carry

Hi John, well, the telescope itself is not as light as the Maksutov, but still okey in a (decent) backpack...

With the ~8-9kg EQ-platform that IS quite a bit to haul around...

Still, better then a regular tube that catches dust in the basement as I don't have a car, and the telescope alone is OK to carry in a good backpack.

It sounds like you've approached the hobby in a very constructive way without spending too much

Indeed, I think I spent under €60 before getting the Maksutov, and most is still usuable (red light, books/maps, EP)... Could have gone lot's worse if I had fallen for those cheap spherical mirror telescope advertisings....

Now back to waiting! Still ~3 weeks of bad weather left from getting the 4"... ;-)

Hi Marco,

Welcome to SGL, glad to see you got your fiancée into this great hobby.

Good luck and clear skies.

Yes, indeed... Now I won't have to go by myself ;-)

It's a fascinating hobby (and unfortunately one of the most expensive ones I have :rolleyes:)

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to SGL. Very interesting scope you've chosen there. Would love to hear more about it when it's up and running. If it's as good as it looks it'll be excellent!

I've heard (read) only positive things so far, so I am confident that it will meet my expectations :-)

As soon as it arrives and the weather allows it, I will post a review.

Archived