Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade my CPC9.25?

Hi

Would like opinions please

Now i have a very nice CPC 9.25 optics are spot on aligns and tracks like a dream but at the back of my mind the CPC 1100 is lurking around

But keep reading different things some say the 9.25 is the best in the CPC range and some say not really because at the end of the day there is more light gathering hence more resolving power with the 11

I went from a 8SE to 9.25 and was pleasantly surprised by the little jump in performance that 1.25” gave so a 1.75” jump from the 9.25 to the 11.00 should also be noticeable? Ideally the logical step would have been the 8 to the 11

But at the end of the day if the difference is minimal i will stick with my 9.25

All opinions would be gratefully received :)

Thanks

Kevin

There's another thread discussing pretty much the same thing at the moment. From my recollections of what I've read of the reviews, the likes of Damian Peach suggest that there's little to tell between the C9.25 and C11. You do get more aperture, but you lose when it comes to cooling times. I know he said that when you get to the C14 that it was largely pointless unless it was kept outside because it takes so long to cool, and that you really only get the benefit of the extra aperture when the seeing is exceptional. It's entirely possible the same might apply to the C11 when compared to the C9.25.

James

There's another thread discussing pretty much the same thing at the moment. From my recollections of what I've read of the reviews, the likes of Damian Peach suggest that there's little to tell between the C9.25 and C11. You do get more aperture, but you lose when it comes to cooling times. I know he said that when you get to the C14 that it was largely pointless unless it was kept outside because it takes so long to cool, and that you really only get the benefit of the extra aperture when the seeing is exceptional. It's entirely possible the same might apply to the C11 when compared to the C9.25.

James

Have been watching that thread with interest but didn't really want to go in steer it off course with my questions the cool down time isn't to much of a problem for me as it is stored in a un heated garage outside

Thanks James :)

I have the C9.25 mounted on a NEQ6pro for spectroscopy.

It's a great scope.

Moving up to the C11 would give you almost 50% more light and slightly better resolution depending on the seeing conditions.

The C11 is obviously a larger setup etc. If you've used the C9.25 for a few years then I'd say you would have a target in mind for the larger aperture, if not there's at least three -five years practice and experience the C9.25 can still give you to help you grow.

Excellent point you raise, aperture is king but is it always practical in some instance's?

I have now been using my 925 for 2 years, for the outlay of £2,000 plus a few more on this and that I would like to keep using it for a couple more and feel I have justified the outlay on it. When you add up the times spent, in my case observing, over the period of ownership it feels like I have only had it a few months.

For you, if that's not a problem then why not, after all if I could acquire an 11" I'd not be complaining. :)

Good Luck with your choice :icon_scratch:

The key thing is, what do you want to do with it? If it's planetary imaging and Damian Peach says there's nothing in it, then there's nothing in it. If it's deep sky visual then you will gain some useful light. If it's planetary visual them you'll gain a small amount of resolution when the seeing allows it.

Olly

Thx for all the useful info guys should have said that my main interest is visual with a bit of basic planetary/lunar webcam stuff which for me the CPC is perfect for i do love the 9.25 but was just wondering would i love the 1100 even more :)

Kevin

If your real interest is mostly observing with odd planetary imaging, then the next step up isn't a larger Sct imho. I would think about going for larger aperture and perhaps consider a 12" or 14" dob. That way you'd have pretty much the best of both worlds (or universes lol).

I love the CPC's but for an 1100 I think I'd want an observatory where it could be permanently set up. Just a couple of thoughts :)

Thanks branuk

Although i have never used or looked through a big dob for some reason they have never appealed to me but when i do get the opportunity to look through one will probably want one of those as well :)

Kevin

Archived