Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Increase contrast/detail on visual Jupiter?

Adz

Hey all,

Recently viewing Jupiter in the early hours I have come upon the impression that the planet may be a little washed out?

I can make out the obvious disk and two red lanes of dust towards the centre, but can anything else be seen?

With my baader neo filter the planet just gets dimmer but with no better detail.

Any advice/equipment recommendations?

Cheers,

my advice would be observe for longer periods at a time. this will do a number of things:

- allow your eyes to adjust - Jupiter is a bright object

- allow your eyes to 'learn' to see more detail

- catch the better moments of seeing

- use a seat to observe

obviously ensuring your scope is well cooled and collimation is spot on will enhance the detail visible with any objects especially at higher magnifications.

to go further you can blacken the sides of the secondary, flock the tube (or the critical parts of it - e.g. opposite the focuser and around the primary) and also add a 'light shield/dew guard' at the business end and possibly a baffle at the rear end in conjunction with a fan. each of these will add a little more contrast to the image.

Spot on advice from Shane which I agree with 100%

Where possible I like to spend a couple of hours observing a planet. As time passes I find I can make out the fainter and more obscure details that were simply not visible when I first start looking at the object.

It took me some years to fully realise the rewards that time spent on an object can bring - I probably sold a scope or two for "underperforming" when really it was me not working at it ;)

Blue 80a Colour filter is supposed to increase contrast on Jupiter but I found BGO did a much better job of it. While I have found colour filters do have there uses particular on the sun I much prefer a natural view. There is also the rose tinted glasses. Looking at it with the up most enthusiasm will also help bring out details. It is a proven fact that when to people are attracted to each other certain chemical things happen to the body that enhance it's performance. Eyes dilating amongst other things.:rolleyes: Same can be said if someone holds a gun to your head. Our actions become sharper and you are more vigilant and alert. Unfortunately adrenaline is the last thing you want coursing through your veins while looking through a small lens but I'm sure you get my drift. Just as our night vision is a release of chemicals by the brain to enable us to see better in the dark, being enthusiastic about something can also have an effect. All sounds daft I know but two people sat watching a movie, movie goer 1 might be interested and happy to watch while missing all the goings on in the back of the scene while number 2 is enjoying it immensely not missing a trick. Don't take my word give it a try. Get the wife to take a look an tell you what she sees and then you tell her what you see. You naturally have more of an interest so you should see more detail. If your wife is anything like mine all you will get is... "a round disk with some lines on it" explain to her is is a giant planet millions of miles away and..... "yes that's nice" ;)

SPACEBOY

Thanks for all the advice guys, I cannot wait till Jupiter gets a bit more sociable!

Spaceboy it is very interesting what you mention. I am going to attack Jupiter with a variety of these tricks!

Would totally agree with the comments given above, and have also been guilty in the past in not giving myself the time to sit and appreciate what I was observing.

Now things are different and the reward is on certain nights some spectacular views at times of the target in question.

I am sure you guys are aware that Jupiter will reach a good altitude in the coming months so should present some great views!

Good with it :smiley:

hi there hi have the 300p ,9mm tmb, and the same filter and wow its 100 times better with out the filter i can see three bands and the same colors ,stick the neo in line and the detail in the bands is unreal,i had never seen the red spot till i got this filter

whats your street light pol like ?,some eps need just as long as the scope to cool down maybe keep try in ,try and draw jupiter

Archived